Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwmott50
Reel Rookie

Home Page will not allow selecting Roku channel for 5 minutes after start up.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Home Page will not allow selecting Roku channel for 5 minutes after start up.

You haven't provided enough information. What model Roku do you have? Model number, not name. Are you connected via Ethernet or using WiFi? How are you powering your Roku (USB port on the TV, or using the wall adapter)? After the five minutes, does The Roku Channel work correctly? Does any other app/channel do the same, or are they all working normally?

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
mwmott50
Reel Rookie

Re: Home Page will not allow selecting Roku channel for 5 minutes after start up.

I am using a Roku Streaming Stick 4K and I do not see a model number on it but the SKU# is 3820R.  It is connected via a USB port on back of my TV and it worked fine until the Roku home page started showing this active background with autumn leaves floating across the home page screen.  When that started I had to wait for about 5 minutes until all the leaves crossed the screen and then it would allow me to select a channel.  I have changed the batteries in the stick several times so it is not a battery problem.  Not sure what is causing this problem but any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Yes, 3820 is the model number. So it's a newer Stick, that's good. You can disable the seasonal backdrop changes in the Theme settings, if that's what is causing this. Are you certain the Home button wouldn't let you bypass the falling leaves? Seems strange they would work that way. 

The reason I asked about the power source is that many TVs don't provide enough power on their USB ports for the latest Roku devices. It's always better to use the wall cube for power. Also, that way your Roku is always powered up and ready to go. It uses so little power it's not really a cost consideration in letting it run full time. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
mwmott50
Reel Rookie

I still have the problem with no solution.  Should I buy a new Roku Streaming Stick or is it possibly a problem with my Smart TV?  I only have this problem on one of my TV's as the others work fine.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

So, you’ve disabled the seasonal themes and have no autumn leaves, plugged it into the AC power adapter, yet you still have to wait?  And the HOME button does nothing during this time?

If all of that has failed, I would probably try a factory reset before I bought new hardware.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.