Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbtx
Binge Watcher

Re: hot to touch

Jump to solution

So where do I get the cord to power from the TV? I do not mind that as I am powering it on all the time anyway. 

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

thats a good question. you need the right kind. Im sure its on Amazon whatever it is.

@atc98092 

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
JSJ1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply !

How long that extension HDMI cable should be ?

Also, if I use that extension, then I have to power Roku from the wall. Then I have to use power adaptor any way, but it gets hot.

So we are running in circles !

Electronic devices can be only slightly warm, not hot.

0 Kudos
JSJ1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Roku Streaming stick has direct HDMI connection port, which connects it directly to TV.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@JSJ1 

Actually, the Roku Stick can get quite warm, and Roku says that's within acceptable values. Yes, I mean quite warm. While the Stick is designed to connect directly to a TV without using an HDMI cable, there's two potential problems doing so. For one, it places the Stick extremely close to the TV. This limits the amount of space between the Stick and the TV. That limits the amount of naturally occurring air flow over the Stick, which makes it run warmer than you would expect. The TV itself also emits some heat, along with some low level RF noise (all TVs do that to some extent), which can cause problems connecting to the WiFi on occasion.

The other problem connecting directly to the set is that while some HDMI ports allow the Stick to point away from the TV body, increasing its ability to cool itself, some HDMI ports are designed to connect a cable without requiring the cable to stick out from the TV. This allows placing the TV right against the wall with nothing sticking out, but that makes cooling the Roku even more difficult. This is why it's still recommended to use an HDMI extension cable, even if it's only a foot long. I simply bought a 6' HDMI cable to allow greater flexibility when I used my Stick while traveling and using hotel TVs. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
JSJ1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you for your clear reply, appreciate it 🙂 !

And what about power adaptor, which comes along with the Roku Streaming Stick+ ?

If it is connected to the wall, it gets hot even if TV is off.

atc98092

Jump to solution

I can't really say about the wall adapter. Your definition of hot might not be the same as mine. As long as it's plugged it, yes it will be warm. It might be worth finding a different power adapter and see how it performs. The adapter for my Premiere says it outputs 5 VDC at 1 amp, so that's what I would shoot for with an alternate power adapter.

I'm not near any of my Roku players at the moment, so can't see how they feel. I don't have any version of the Stick at this time. I gave my 3600 to my grandson and use a Premiere when I travel, assuming I ever start traveling again for work. My Premiere is close to me, but it's connected to an open USB port on a nearby PC for power. I would call the Premiere warm, but I do know from experience that the Stick I had would run much warmer than this. 

Dan

JSJ1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My assumption is that what comes with the Roku box, when I buy it, must be working and compatible.

I don't have to run and buy another power adapters 🙂 !

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

And that is a reasonable expectation. But it is a piece of electronics, and sometime they fail unexpectedly, even if it's quite new. I suggest that simply as a test to see if it might be worthwhile. 

Dan

0 Kudos
cbtx
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My question as it was in the beginning, is why should we have to pay for another cord unless the one that they provide is not long enough. If Roku is aware of this issue, they should provide both options so that we as the consumer has the choice. Why should I have to search for another power plug or the HDMI to USB power cord to power from the TV. I PAID FOR 3 ROKU devices!!! They are getting my business and this is ridiculous that I have to find the cord.

ROKU PLEASE SPEAK UP. Not someone on the boards!! You need to fix this issue. I am not the only one with the problem!!