Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scolli23
Streaming Star

HDR on Roku tvs. Fix this please!!!

Jump to solution

Last year roku messed up football games, they are in HDR. We were able to turn off hdr in the secret settings. Now roku took away secret settings access. Fix this problem picture sucks! 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: HDR on Roku tvs. Fix this please!!!

Jump to solution

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community, @Scolli23!

We understand you want to turn off the HDR resolution on your Roku. Rest assured, we're here to help you look into this and get you back on streaming that suits your preference. 

Firstly, we have to identify where you are trying to watch these shows. Is it inside The Roku Channel or on a specific channel? If it's in a particular channel, please tell us which channel has this display resolution? 

In the meantime, you can change the display settings on your Roku to see if it makes any difference. You may follow the steps provided below: 

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Display type
  4. Select one of the available display types and press OK 

on your remote
  5. Your screen may go black for a few seconds while the display setting is changed.

image.png

6. When an image is shown, select Yes, I can see it and press OK on your remote

image.png    7. Your screen will return to the Display type menu
    8. A check will appear next to the new display setting

image.png

For more information, you may visit this support article: How to change the display type on your Roku streaming player.

Please get back to us and let us know if it works. 

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community, @Scolli23!

We understand you want to turn off the HDR resolution on your Roku. Rest assured, we're here to help you look into this and get you back on streaming that suits your preference. 

Firstly, we have to identify where you are trying to watch these shows. Is it inside The Roku Channel or on a specific channel? If it's in a particular channel, please tell us which channel has this display resolution? 

In the meantime, you can change the display settings on your Roku to see if it makes any difference. You may follow the steps provided below: 

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Display type
  4. Select one of the available display types and press OK 

on your remote
  5. Your screen may go black for a few seconds while the display setting is changed.

image.png

6. When an image is shown, select Yes, I can see it and press OK on your remote

image.png    7. Your screen will return to the Display type menu
    8. A check will appear next to the new display setting

image.png

For more information, you may visit this support article: How to change the display type on your Roku streaming player.

Please get back to us and let us know if it works. 

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

In my opinion you never want HDR on, it ruins the picture. Go into the picture settings and just put it on 4K TV instead. This will disable any HDR playback and give you a max of 4K only in SDR which is what you want.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

HDR should only be enabled if the content contains HDR metadata. Having HDR turned on with SDR content can look inaccurate, and having HDR off with HDR content makes the image dull and washed out. I don't know if the Roku 4K TVs have the same HDR Always On option in the advanced display settings, but if it is there and turned on make sure it's disabled. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Scolli23
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

This happened on first nfl game in 2023. I searched and the solution was, secret menu in roku. Now that is no longer available, and no other way to disable HDR! So frustrating.

be nice if roku at least would explain why they will not allow users to disable hdr.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

You can disable HDR on a Roku player, because you can change the video resolution setting to 4K without HDR. But you don't have that option with any TV (Roku or otherwise).

Hidden menus have never been designed for public use, and features added or removed is strictly at the discretion of Roku. Did you check for the setting I mentioned under Settings/System/Advanced settings for HDR always on? Again, I don't know if the TVs have that setting, but if it's there make sure it's turned off.

Dan

0 Kudos
Scolli23
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Again. It is on a roku tv *ROKU TV.    Peacock channel. Football games only have the HDR issue. No settings in roku or peacock for hdr!!! Roku removed the hdr settings in last update.

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@atc98092 

"HDR should only be enabled if the content contains HDR metadata. Having HDR turned on with SDR content can look inaccurate, and having HDR off with HDR content makes the image dull and washed out."

That's simply not true in my experience. Even having HDR turned on with HDR content can make the image look like garbage. Yet playing those some programs with HDR off makes it look just fine. HDR seems to take away the crispness and color of the image, as soon as you disable it the image looks fantastic. There should always be a way to completely disable HDR as well as 4K if you don't want to be forced into those resolutions.

I despise HDR and to me 4K is almost indistinguishable from 1080p not looking much better. A good quality 1080p image is always enough to satisfy me, it looks clear and has no issues. But I know a lot of people are absolutely obsessed with the highest resolution possible and it just isn't always the best viewing experience.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I guess it's dependent on the content. There's no question that 4K/HDR can look outstanding. One example is the original Blade Runner. I originally only had a DVD copy. so not even HD. But when I ripped my UHD copy and watched it on my LG, it was shocking how well a movie from the early 80s could look. Much of the vividness of that movie would be lost with HDR disabled. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.