Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmadams1e
Reel Rookie

HDCP Error 020 on Roku Ultra 2022 when streaming

There are similar topics posted but I didn't see this exact notice or a solution.  I have several ROKU devices and my brand new Roku Ultra 2022 is doing this.  I have followed all the suggestions for the HDCP error problems to no avail.  Streams 1080 fine, using a 1080tv, but if the source is 4k it gives the HDCP error.  The big clue here to a problem with the device or software is that none of my other ROKU devices do this.  The best comparison is my Roku Ultra 2020 device.......and it plays everything fine.  I can literally replace the 2022 Ultra with my 2020 Ultra using the exact same cables and setup and stream all the 4k material that the 2022 Ultra (4802x) is failing on.  Is there a device problem?  Based on similar posts it seems maybe there is a firmware issue that was introduced sometime along the way.  How do I get this fixed?  I'll return it if it can't handle something my older devices deal with fine.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HDCP Error 020 on Roku Ultra 2022 when streaming

@jmadams1e-

Have you tried setting the "problem" Roku's Display Type setting to 1080p?

Settings > Display type

When you change the Display type to a new setting it runs you through several screens:

• A screen where you can choose from the available options on that device.
  • A screen where it analyzes your choice to be sure your tv supports it, then gives the option of trying that choice if you wish.
  • A screen with a countdown timer and two choices:
        Yes, screen looks good
        No, I will choose a different setting
    The "No" option is highlighted by default. To keep the screen resolution you're currently trying, you need to arrow up to the "Yes" option and click on it before the timer runs out.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
jmadams1e
Reel Rookie

Yes.  I tried on auto and setting it specifically to 1080p.  I even checked to see if any settings between the new non working unit and the older working unit to see if I could find any differences and I couldn’t see.  I also verified it works great my my Roku premier+.  I have some 3s that don’t complain either …via dhcp…They just stutter with the demand beyond it’s real capabilities when playing back

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Sorry, guess I wasn't explicit enough.

I was suggesting setting your Roku to your TV's actual resolution, not "auto detect".

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
loaker

I had the exact same issue on my Roku Ultra 2022 (4800RW).  I tried all the fixes suggested by Roku several times.  Even tried using 8K cables meeting the HDCP 2.3 standard. Nothing worked, UNTIL switching my Roku units.    ROKU Ultra (4670) works just fine no matter what cables are used.  This is to a Sony 65" XBR TV.

This started in early Dec 2022, may have been around the firmware update to 11.5.  There were no HDCP issues prior to that timeframe.

The Roku Ultra 2022 (4800) is now connected to an LG 4K with no issues.

0 Kudos
ESC
Channel Surfer

I'm having the same issue.  Roku seems to be in denial about this issue and another issue I am seeing about Closed Captioning not working after an episode rolls into the next (rebooting resolves the Closed Captioning issue temporarily).  My old Roku Ultra (2018) doesn't have either of these issues.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @ESC

Welcome to Roku Community, 

Sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing with your Roku device. But don't worry, there are a few steps we can try to resolve the issue. Perform the following set of steps to help resolve the HDCP concern.

1. On both your Roku player and TV, AVR, or soundbar, unplug each end of the HDMI cable.
  2. Power off your TV, AVR, or soundbar, and unplug its power cord.
  3. Remove the power cord from your Roku player.
  4. Reconnect both ends of the HDMI cable, making sure each connector is attached firmly and securely.
  5. Reconnect the power cord to your TV, AVR, or soundbar, and your Roku player and wait for both devices to power on (you may also need to press the power button on your TV, AVR, or soundbar remote).
  6. Try viewing the content again.

If the issue continues after attempting the instructions above, try the additional suggestions found on this support page. What to do if you see an “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen.

And for the Closed Captioning issue, you can see more here for additional troubleshooting: How to enable closed captioning

I hope these suggestions help resolve the issues you're facing with your Roku device. If there's anything else I can help with, please let us know and we'll assist you further.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
jmadams1e
Reel Rookie

In this case, these things have been all done, the problem is deeper than that.  The standard help page for hdcp problem does not help, and that has been noted already with Roku.

0 Kudos
ESC
Channel Surfer

I've tried all the the above standard troubleshooting stuff including replacing my HDMI cable with a 8K certified cable.  Please note, my 2018 Roku's do NOT exhibit either of these issues.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Thanks for the post @ESC

We would like to request the information provided below that would be helpful for our team to look into this problem.
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-what are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue or error message
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos