Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bradamant
Reel Rookie

Fancy new TV stuck at 1080p instead of 4k?

Jump to solution

Hi folks, I posted about some problems a while back when I got a new Roku Ultra and attached it to my old TV. Got that fixed, but now I've gotten a new TV (2022 Samsung The Frame) and plugged the Roku into it using a Monoprice 8k certified cable. All of these elements seem like they should allow for 4k playback but the error message I get... well it's so confusing that I don't actually know what I'm getting! The error refers me to a help page that doesn't cover this scenario. But it seems like I'm not getting 4k, or maybe I'm not getting it at the right frame rate or I can't get HDR picture quality at 4k? I'd appreciate if anyone could shed any light on what is going on here and what should be going on too!

error message "This HDMI connection can play video at resolutions up to 1080p HDR"

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Fancy new TV stuck at 1080p instead of 4k?

Jump to solution

On Samsung TVs, you need to go into the HDMI settings and enable "UHD Color" on the port your Roku is using.

If you are using an AVR and your Roku is connected directly to it, you would enable that setting on the port that the AVR is connected to. Also, your AVR would need to support 4K/60, which isn't a certainty. If your AVR does support 4K, make sure you have video passthrough enabled so it isn't altering the video feed.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
atc98092

Jump to solution

On Samsung TVs, you need to go into the HDMI settings and enable "UHD Color" on the port your Roku is using.

If you are using an AVR and your Roku is connected directly to it, you would enable that setting on the port that the AVR is connected to. Also, your AVR would need to support 4K/60, which isn't a certainty. If your AVR does support 4K, make sure you have video passthrough enabled so it isn't altering the video feed.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
bradamant
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you so much! You saved me a lot of research and wasting money on extra cables.

It took some digging in the Samsung menus to execute this so let me leave breadcrumbs for anyone else encountering this.

(Samsung not Roku) Menu > Settings > All Settings > Connection > External Device Manager > Input Signal Plus

Then go to the input you want to change and click it. It didn't give me any choices but put up some message about having switched to HDR? Sorry, I didn't write that part down and don't want to risk switching it back.

I tried the Roku automatic detection thing again and now it says 4k!

makaiguy

Jump to solution

@bradamant-

Thanks for reporting back and sharing your findings.  I wish more people did that.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
danielw23

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for posting this specific information - saved me a ton of time and hassle.  The information on the Roku site is outdated based on the new Samsung menu options.  Again, really really appreciate this!

0 Kudos
an0ndev

Jump to solution

Thank you! On LG, this is Settings --> All Settings --> General --> Devices --> HDMI Settings --> HDMI Deep Color.

0 Kudos