Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fritz2
Reel Rookie

Breaks my entertainment center

This ultra roku remote wants to run everything and is breaking the system.  I have a 65" Phillips smart TV, it has multiple inputs.  I'm using all of the inputs.  A Visio Sound bar w/bass for audio.  TV Inputs are: A Cable box, A computer, a VCR/DVD player and the Roku ultra.  The Roku wants to be god of the system.  On/off on the Roku takes over and attempts to turn the TV on/off instead of just the Roku.    The soundbar quits working for other devices connected as the Roku wants to pretend it's god or it gets impetuous.  I have to unplug the Roku to get the sound back for the other devices and fiddle with the soundbar buttons. 

Other people in this house want to use this center and it needs to be compatible with people who don't know how and don't want to know how to plug/unplug cables and fiddle with buttons.

What model Roku should I buy to replace this ultra POS?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Breaks my entertainment center

Just to be clear, the Roku remote's Power/Volume controls are for a TV/AVR/Soundbar - NOT the Ultra.

Instead of getting rid of the Ultra (model # and firmware version unknown), perhaps dont use the Power/Volume controls of the remote.

Or reprogram them "falsely" (so they dont control your TV/AVR).

Or use an IR-only universal/programmable remote (programmed for Roku) and not the Roku remote.

(As an aside, an "entertainment center" generally refers to a furniture piece usually with shelves designed to hold your consumer electronics - so "breaks my entertainment center" suggests the Ultra is so hot or heavy its somehow damaging or breaking your furniture - you want to use the phrase "Home Theater System")

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

On your Roku, see if this takes care of at least part of your problem:

Settings > System > Control other devices
UNcheck 1-touch play

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
fritz2
Reel Rookie

hey, it didn't work.  The remote setup wants to control the TV and other devices.  This seems to be a one-way setup with the exception of the sound.  When I change to the other devices attached to the TV I no longer have the sound.  I have to fuss with the soundbar remote to hunt down the audio for the device I'm wanting to watch.  Sometimes just changing the channel causes loss of sound, channel being the TV or the video source on the roku.  

This is messed up, I don't want this constant screwing with the sound.  The TV supplies an optical sound port, which was working fine until recently.  Probably a software update.  I've even tried putting the soundbar in the path with HDMI cables, doesn't help.  (soundbar connects to HDMI arc on TV, roku connects to soundbar.  No change in problem. 

Any change in Roku channel, or Cable channel, or TV input and the **bleep** sound needs fussing with, this takes awhile, an excessive long while.  Roku still turns TV on/off.  I'm so pissed with this I want to put it in the garbage!

0 Kudos
MtneerInTN

Settings > System > Control other devices
UNcheck 1-touch play

worked for me! 🙂

I couldn't follow these directions "If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking " as Solution."."

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@MtneerInTN wrote:

I couldn't follow these directions "If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking " as Solution."."

I think this forum only shows the "Accept as Solution" button to the person that first posted the question.  Absent that, the best we mere mortals can do is click to add a Kudo.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.