Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disney Plus is freezing after ad breaks

Jump to solution

When I try to watch a show or movie on Disney Plus, I will get through the first ads before the show then once the next ad break starts the show/movie never comes back. The ads end and it is just a black screen. I have to exit the app then restart the show which makes me watch more ads. I have a Roku TV TCL

Labels (2)
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Disney Plus is freezing after ad breaks

Jump to solution

Thank you for posting here in the Roku community, @katieandthekids!

We'd like to assist you with the playback issue you're experiencing. Is this the only app being affected? Have you attempted connecting your device to a mobile hotspot?

If you haven't attempted any other troubleshooting, we recommend following the steps below to see if that helps.

• Restart device and Router: You can restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System restart. For the router, simply unplug and replug it.
  • Update Disney Plus: To highlight the channel, press the star button on your Roku remote, then scroll and select "channel update."

For additional troubleshooting, you can visit our support page here: How to resolve a channel playback issue. If the problem continues and is specific to one channel, we highly suggest reaching out directly to the channel provider about this issue. This is because many channels and apps on Roku are developed, maintained, and updated by the providers themselves.

Please let us know if the issue is fixed or reply back to the thread for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community Users,

Thank you for all your reports and updates in the Roku community.

We highly appreciate you for providing us with the requested details accurately! Rest assured, we will forward your information to the appropriate Roku team for review. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and understanding as we work on this.

Please feel free to let us know if there's anything else you'd like us to address or create a new thread for different concerns. We are more than willing to listen and take action.

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Gaius619  @Fail_Boat,

Thank you so much for keeping us in the loop!

We truly appreciate your quick response and the details you provided. We'll pass on your information to the appropriate Roku team for review. We're grateful for your patience and understanding as we work on this. Feel free to contact us if there's anything else on your mind or any other concerns you'd like to raise. We're here to listen, and we're ready to take action!

Warm regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

0 Kudos
38 REPLIES 38
RokuBernie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Mrniceguy7707,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand that you need assistance with the issue with your Disney Plus channel. No worries! We are here to help you with this.

We highly suggest you do these troubleshooting steps: Remove, System restart, and Reinstall the channel.

• Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star * to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  • Restart your Roku device: Refer to earlier instructions to restart your Roku device.
  • Reinstall the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

If the issue persists, you can contact our support so we can continue to assist you.

Best regards,
Bernie

Bernie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
katieandthekids
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I tried the steps and the issue still happens. Any other suggestions?

RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thank you for posting here in the Roku community, @katieandthekids!

We'd like to assist you with the playback issue you're experiencing. Is this the only app being affected? Have you attempted connecting your device to a mobile hotspot?

If you haven't attempted any other troubleshooting, we recommend following the steps below to see if that helps.

• Restart device and Router: You can restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System restart. For the router, simply unplug and replug it.
  • Update Disney Plus: To highlight the channel, press the star button on your Roku remote, then scroll and select "channel update."

For additional troubleshooting, you can visit our support page here: How to resolve a channel playback issue. If the problem continues and is specific to one channel, we highly suggest reaching out directly to the channel provider about this issue. This is because many channels and apps on Roku are developed, maintained, and updated by the providers themselves.

Please let us know if the issue is fixed or reply back to the thread for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Brinx
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This has no upbotes because it doesn't work.   Initially you can play the content,  but the next time you login it is the same **bleep**.  Please fix the app.

Frador

Jump to solution

I had the same problem and followed the steps suggested but it hasn't fixed the problem.

RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Greetings from the Roku Community, @Frador!

We understand that you are experiencing issues with Disney Plus, and we appreciate you contacting us.

Could you please specify if the issue occurs only on one channel or specific content? Additionally, have you tried using mobile data as a hotspot to see if it makes any difference?

Please let us know if the issue is fixed or reply to the thread for further assistance. We will be glad to help you.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kcnole
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Im having the same problems. It started about 2 weeks ago. I’ve removed the channel, restarted and added the channel back. I’ve checked for updates and same issue. Everything works fine until it plays the commercials. Then the screen goes blank for 30 seconds or so and I get a message saying “Sorry something went wrong. Please try again later.” 

if I go back into the content, it plays an additional round of commercials and then plays the content until it gets to a commercial break again. And then the same thing happens. 

this is only with Disney plus. 

katieandthekids
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Unfortunately these steps did not work. 

Sheyoda53

Jump to solution

This is a problem for many Roku users. To answer your question: It only occurs with Roku and Disney Plus. It's clearly a Roku and Disney Plus issue. It's affected many Roku and Disney Plus users, please Google the issue to see numerous examples of Roku users and Disney Plus subscribers struggling with this. Again, only Roku and Disney Plus. Disney Plus works as normal on multiple other devices for the many, many users who've been dealing with this for three months, plus.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.