Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Re: Audio stops working after long pause

Jump to solution

Not yet. They’re working on it. There’s an easy enough workaround: don’t pause for a long time.

Next time it happens hit home then home five times then back five times. Use the info on the screen to report here.

0 Kudos
Sherrym
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I haven’t had any issues since I’ve started exiting each app and going back to the Home Screen before I turn off my tv. Kind of a pain but I remember when we didn’t even have remotes lol.

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

We religiously go home before turning off any tv.

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I just did an interesting experiment; I paused a show on YouTube TV, but I turned the tv off which in turn turned off the soundbar, and I took a shower, did a few things, probably was paused 70-80 minutes which is beyond the time needed to see this happen. The result was once I turned the tv back on which turned the soundbar back on, I had no problem resuming what I had paused. I’m wondering if any others with this audio gone after a long pause also are using eARC or ARC to connect to an external audio device.

EDIT: Now that I’m thinking about it, I’m wondering if the issue is the soundbar times out and shuts off from inactivity.

0 Kudos
jaybfl
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I tried something that seems to be working but it is hard to tell since the no audio problem doesn't happen to me every day, even if I pause YouTube TV for a long time. My Roku Ultra is connected to an older (2015) Samsung TV via an HDMI port (STB). 

I went into the Roku audio settings and changed the streaming audio format to Dolby. Then, I changed the digital output format to passthrough. I paused YouTube TV before I went to bed and did not have audio issues in the morning.

One interesting thing is that when I pause for a while and go back and play whatever I am watching, the video plays for a second or two before the audio kicks in. It seems like the audio problem is happening, but then the audio starts to play. This happens even for short pauses.

I am not sure if this is a fix yet but I haven't had issues for like a week now. You may want to give it a try.

jaybfl
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Setting the audio format to Dolby and the digital output format to passthrough seems to be working for me. I have gone over 9 days without the no audio issue. My guess is that just the passthrough setting would work but I am not changing anything since I have not had the sound issue for over 9 days now. During this time I have made a habit of pausing YouTube TV as much as possible (even overnight). As I mentioned before, I still have a brief (like a second) of no audio after un-pausing, but the audio always comes back. 

JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Okay so, hadn’t happened to me in a while, but just did and with two very interesting twists: audio was lost after an extended pause, and I noticed my soundbar was turned off. When I turned it back on there was no audio. However, the picture then froze refusing to unpause.36303CAD-02E3-4606-A3E8-0F98DFAA6FAD.jpeg

0 Kudos
badgirl

Jump to solution

jaybfl -This fix worked for me - thank you!

0 Kudos
SaraAD

Jump to solution

I've had my unchecked for some time and I still don't get audio after a longer pause. 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @SaraAD,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

If this issue is not resolved, please help us with additional information provided below that would be helpful for our team to look into this problem.
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator