Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Faithy
Binge Watcher

Re: Audio stops working after long pause

Jump to solution

Well, I found a workaround but it sucks, so I hope Roku fixes this soon. If I go to Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings and uncheck the box for "After 20 minutes of no interaction," everything works fine. I can pause YouTube TV (DVR and live) for as long as I like, even over an hour, and the screensaver stays on without shutting off the TV. I like the screensaver, but saving electricity is even better. As soon as I hit OK to wake it up, I can press Play and the video resumes with audio. Maybe someone else can test this workaround too?

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I’ll test it over the weekend but I’m pretty sure I already tried that.

0 Kudos
Faithy
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Okay, cool. Thank you @JohnCap523 !

Do you know what's weird? I already tried it once before myself. When I was troubleshooting with YouTube TV tech support. It did not fix the problem then, but it is working now. On this Ultra, I have disconnected the HDMI cable from both devices, powered down the Roku and the TV, plugged the HDMI cable back in firmly, and then plugged the TV and Roku back into the power source. Also, I switched from the aquarium screensaver to outer space, tested that, then switched back. I may have restarted the Roku one more time too.

I'm going to the Ultra in the living room and testing disabling the power saver on that one too. I'll let everyone know if I can reproduce the workaround on that unit.

0 Kudos
sgarret3
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I don't use the 'auto power saving' feature on any of my Rokus. It is unchecked. But the problem has plagued me. So that work around isn't going to help me.

However the concept makes sense, so I have disabled the screensaver. I'm guessing that should fix the issue, but a really sucky workaround.

Ill be curious to hear your results over time with the box unchecked.

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I’m pretty sure we went round on both the power setting and screensavers before. 

When I get back from the beach over the weekend I’ll test all of this on both an Ultra and a 3820 stick.

Is everyone talking about 2021 Ultra or the first gen too?

0 Kudos
Faithy
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Well, **bleep**. I tested my theory in the living room and it was an epic fail. I unchecked the box, brought up and paused a show, and went to a meeting. After the meeting, the screensaver was still on, but when I woke it up and pushed play, no audio. What a bummer. Please help Roku Peeps!

Faithy
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@sgarret3 I'm not sure which model of streaming sticks I have, but both of my Ultras are 4800X. One is a few years old and then a brand new one.

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

4800 and 4801 are the newest. The 46xx are the earlier Ultras.

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yup, not surprised. We did all this a while back.

0 Kudos
Faithy
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

This is strange. The new one in my bedroom has been working ever since I unchecked the power-saving box. I'm going to check for device/app updates, uninstall and reinstall YouTube TV in the living room and see if I can get that one working too. That is the "old" 4800X. lol I'll check in with the results soon.

I'm not thrilled about using more power, but maybe I can get it working until they find a fix.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.