Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emissary35
Roku Guru

The Roku Channel - The Walking Dead Universe

Jump to solution

There is something seriously wrong with this channel. The screen keeps going black during the episodes and freezing constantly. I noticed it yesterday when watching this channel on my Roku Stick 4K on The Roku Channel app. Now today it is still doing the same thing while I'm watching it on the Roku Channel website in Chrome on my computer.

So this isn't a device issue it's the stream itself that is corrupted somehow. But of course the commercials play perfectly fine, no glitches or blackouts on any of them just the episodes are screwed up. Somebody needs to fix this pronto! This is beyond unacceptable for something like this to go on as long as it has and it's being ignored.

I bet if it were the commercials that were glitching and blacking out they'd be fixed immediately though! Can't upset those advertisers! But since it's the program customers want to watch nobody seems to care!

Also when watching on a web browser whenever a program comes back from commercial it keeps turning the subtitles on. When you check them it says they are off even though they are appearing.

In order to make them disappear you have to turn them on then off again in the setting. But they only stay off until it goes to commercial, when it comes back and the program resumes the subtitles are on again.

This is happening for all channels I've tried. It's ridiculously annoying and that's been going on for ages

Please fix these issues immediately!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuRey-V
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: [RESOLVED] The Roku Channel - The Walking Dead Universe

Jump to solution

Hi Community users.

We appreciate your patience regarding this issue.

We are happy to inform you that the problem with The Roku Channel - The Walking Dead Universe freezing and displaying a black screen during playback has been fixed. We invite you to give it another try.

If the issue persists, please let us know so our team can continue working on it. Your response would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Reyn

Rey V.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

105 REPLIES 105
Jackkaell

741 cutting in and out all day

Jump to solution

Been watching The Walking Dead channel all day keeps cutting in and out

mmbbal
Reel Rookie

Re: 741 cutting in and out all day

Jump to solution

I was just coming here to post the same thing. The screen just goes black and sometimes audio skips. But it only happens during the show, never during the ads. I haven't experienced this on any other channel, but I've been watching pretty much nothing but Roku channels for weeks. Only started with Walking Dead today, though.

toddar
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Same here on 741 frequent black-outs audio stays some stuttering ads are good.  Roku stick restarted and internet connection is fine.  Don't hold your breath.  Couple months ago problem with 741 took Roku two weeks to even acknowledge.  Was a simple problem but they botched the fix.

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: The Roku Channel - The Walking Dead Universe

Jump to solution

Hi @Emissary35,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

Please be aware that we have passed along your information to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Kind regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Well I feel so reassured right now after yet another copy and paste response by a moderator from a script saying that the appropriate team was notified and everything will be fixed soon!

The Walking Dead channel is still messed up right now, blacking out and glitching like it has for the past two days. Let's see how many more days it will be like this before somebody actually fixes it.

It completely blows my mind how a channel can be streaming with blackouts and glitches for days and not even the people responsible for running the channel seem to notice. I wonder if it is run by automation and nobody pays attention at all, it's pathetic!

TV and cable channels have issues at times but they don't go on for days unfixed likes streaming channels seem to.

And Roku was supposed to be "the alternative" to cable! Yeah right, what a joke! These channels are completely unreliable.

And the subtitles constantly turning themselves on after returning from commercial is another annoying glitch that I'm sick and tired of.

Fix it all!

mags2112

Jump to solution

I concur that these are the exact same issues I'm experiencing with the Walking Dead Universe channel. And another thing: Breaking to commercials in the middle of climactic scenes is something I guess advertisers must pay Roku extra for, but do they have to break in the mid-sentence?? Its particularly irritating when those ads are for Roku's own channels! Combine that with the blanking video issue and watching this channel becomes an exercise in frustration and a test of patience...not so entertaining.

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Greetings Community users!

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you bringing this content issue to our attention. We have forwarded it to the appropriate Roku team for further review. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@mags2112 

"And another thing: Breaking to commercials in the middle of climactic scenes is something I guess advertisers must pay Roku extra for, but do they have to break in mid-sentence??"

You are exactly right! Instead of waiting for the normal act breaks that were designed to show ads on broadcast television they deliberately ignore those points and instead break in at random awkward points to show ads, sometimes in the middle of sentences. I was watching the other day and they broke in with a commercial and cut someone's line off, about a minute later the normal act break in the episode happened where the commercial was supposed to be shown, but the streaming channel played through it.

Now why couldn't they just wait that extra minute and play the commercial at the spot the episode was designed to have them? The way they do it is not only completely irritating but it shows a complete lack of respect for the show and for the viewer, not caring at all how or when they cut in to show ads and how horrible it looks cutting into people's lines. It ruins the viewing experience and they don't care at all!

And don't even get me started on the actual commercials themselves! It's an endless freaking loop of the same five or six ads over and over again! I'm so beyond sick and tired of that Emeril cooking guy, the Weird Al movie, Marth Stewart, Jessica Alba renovating houses, the lincoln logs, UFO hunters! I press mute as soon as they come on so I don't have to listen to them and I move my attention to my tablet screen until my TV comes back and the ads are over!

So screw Roku for the way they inconsiderately cut commercials into the shows at the wrong spots and for deliberately annoying us with the same never ending looping of the same ridiculous ads! I don't listen to them anymore or even look at the screen until they are over!

eliot39
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Screen is turning black while watching The Walking Dead with me on the Roku Channel about got tired of it

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.