Smart home app

Learn how to use the Roku home app to control the smart devices in your home. Join the online community forum for troubleshooting tips and helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tr72
Reel Rookie

Trying to watch motion events freezes smart home app

Jump to solution

Just to preface in case any of this is relevant, I have a Roku subscription for my Indoor Camera and recently put in a freshly formatted SD Card for recording motion events. I'm not sure if its the SD card and if so what I can do about it, but anytime I get a motion notification or try to open a motion event through the "events" tab in my Roku smart home app it tries to open the clip but just shows a still frame with the "loading" spinning circle and freezes. I can't watch the clip, can't click anything or go back, can't do anything at all besides force close the app. I'm never able to actually see what the motion was or if anything's wrong in my house, making the whole camera kind of useless...hoping someone can help me fix this or at least explain what's causing this. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Trying to watch motion events freezes smart home app

Jump to solution

Hello! @Tr72,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your inquiry about viewing the event recording on your Roku Indoor Camera and are happy to assist you.

You can find your event recordings on the Roku Smart Home app in the Events tab. You must purchase a smart home subscription to view event video recordings saved to the cloud. If you do not have a subscription, you can only view a still image of the event. On the Events screen, tap an event to watch the video or view the image. If you want to view recordings saved to a micro SD card, you need to remove the micro SD card from the camera and watch it on your computer.

How to set up continuous recordings

continuous recording saves 1-minute video clips for as long as the camera is connected to power. When the storage is full, the oldest files are overwritten to make room for new video clips.

Before you begin, make sure to install a micro SD card in your camera. You can set up continuous recording in the smart home app.

1. Tap Home from the navigation bar 

2. Select your camera
  3. Tap Settings in the corner 
  4. Select Advanced Settings
  5. Toggle Record to MicroSD card to on
  6. Select Continuous

When you want to view a continuous recording, you must remove the micro SD card and connect it to your computer.

You can share and download recordings in the smart home app. Downloading a recording will save it to the gallery on your mobile device. Sharing a recording will prompt you to select an app and then generate a message with the recording in the selected app.

1. On the Home screen, tap Events
  2. Select the event
  3. Tap the Download or Share icon

For more detailed information, please visit this link: How to set up and view recordings on your Roku Smart Home camera or video doorbell.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @Tr72,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your inquiry about viewing the event recording on your Roku Indoor Camera and are happy to assist you.

You can find your event recordings on the Roku Smart Home app in the Events tab. You must purchase a smart home subscription to view event video recordings saved to the cloud. If you do not have a subscription, you can only view a still image of the event. On the Events screen, tap an event to watch the video or view the image. If you want to view recordings saved to a micro SD card, you need to remove the micro SD card from the camera and watch it on your computer.

How to set up continuous recordings

continuous recording saves 1-minute video clips for as long as the camera is connected to power. When the storage is full, the oldest files are overwritten to make room for new video clips.

Before you begin, make sure to install a micro SD card in your camera. You can set up continuous recording in the smart home app.

1. Tap Home from the navigation bar 

2. Select your camera
  3. Tap Settings in the corner 
  4. Select Advanced Settings
  5. Toggle Record to MicroSD card to on
  6. Select Continuous

When you want to view a continuous recording, you must remove the micro SD card and connect it to your computer.

You can share and download recordings in the smart home app. Downloading a recording will save it to the gallery on your mobile device. Sharing a recording will prompt you to select an app and then generate a message with the recording in the selected app.

1. On the Home screen, tap Events
  2. Select the event
  3. Tap the Download or Share icon

For more detailed information, please visit this link: How to set up and view recordings on your Roku Smart Home camera or video doorbell.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tr72
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I ejected the SD card and turned off the setting to record to SD card, turned motion detection/recording off and back on, and restarted the app. But when I went to view the new motion event it's still completely freezing the app and not letting me watch any video.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@Tr72,

Thanks for the updates,

Can we try signing out of your Roku Smart Home account, then delete the app, restart your phone, and redownload the app before signing back in?

Let's see how it goes.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.