Smart home app

Learn how to use the Roku home app to control the smart devices in your home. Join the online community forum for troubleshooting tips and helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Smart Home app demands I enable two-factor authentication - even after turning it off

Hi all,

Want to thank everyone here for feedback.

Once two-factor is authenticated on each device, multiple devices will be able to use the account and will not need to re-authenticate two-factor. 

You should not see a two-factor screen each time you are logging in, unless you choosing the sign out function or you are disabling two-factor (which will prompt two-factor again on the next login).

For folks that have multiple devices, you will be able to still share your login details and you will not need to continuously type in a code after the first time on each device.

If you only have one device, you will not need to use two-factor each time you go to view your cameras or use your switches, as long as you are not signing out and are not disabling two-factor. Once the device is verified on two-factor, you're secure and will not be required to verify again, except at long intervals. 

As this is a new feature, we want to ensure that folks are not running into problems here. Please let us know if you are being prompted for two-factor multiple times on your device AND that you are not signing out or turning off two-factor. Your account security, as well as your experience, is very important to us.

Thank you!

-Austin

@Dontask4myname6 @Jose62181 @bbjc @Webs4 

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
0 Kudos
morydees

Re: Smart Home app demands I enable two-factor authentication - even after turning it off

I don't need or want 2FA on a $7 smart device that controls a light bulb. Not even once. Not even "at long intervals." Never. Ever. No.

Geriwinter
Reel Rookie

I can't turn it off.  I can't look at my dog cameras without ridiculous steps. I don't have time for this. Please fix it

KenFow
Reel Rookie

I share my account with my family so they can turn on and off the lights and so they can view the camera. I do want this feature, I do not want yo be bothered every time a family member is trying to turn on or off a light. This is not good!

KenFow
Reel Rookie

I followed your advice and went thru settings up the 2FA on a family member phone and turned 2FA off But after closing the app was forced to enter the 2FA again, this doesn’t work and if it doesn’t get fixed very soon I am done with Roku 

ACCM
Reel Rookie

It’s not sending me the code either!!!
There’s a random car parked in my driveway and I can’t even check my camera to see who tf it is!!! Annoyed is an understatement!!! Of course you took your payment yesterday and pissed me off today!!! I typed in my number because I cannot get around the screen AT ALL, otherwise but NO CODE!!! This needs to be fixed NOW! Or I want my money back and I’ll get different cameras!!!

ACCM
Reel Rookie

Same!! I just verified, got in the app and turned it off. Try to get back in MINUTES later and it wants me to verify it again!!! I’m about to lose it!! How stupid!!!

RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@KenFow wrote:

I followed your advice and went thru settings up the 2FA on a family member phone and turned 2FA off But after closing the app was forced to enter the 2FA again, this doesn’t work and if it doesn’t get fixed very soon I am done with Roku 

@KenFow Hi Ken! If you don't use the menu item to turn off 2FA, it will not prompt you for 2FA again on login. We realize that menu item needs to be updated and are planning to push out a new update.

Do not disable 2FA, and it shouldn't prompt you again after the first login. Let us know how it goes.

Happy Streaming!

0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ACCM wrote:

Same!! I just verified, got in the app and turned it off. Try to get back in MINUTES later and it wants me to verify it again!!! I’m about to lose it!! How stupid!!!

Hi there, @ACCM! The menu item to turn off 2FA will not turn off 2FA. We realize the menu item needs to be updated and are pushing out an update soon to address this. But, if you do not turn off 2FA in the menu, you will only be prompted once to authenticate, and then you will not be prompted again. Let us know how it goes. 

Happy Streaming!

0 Kudos
lisagonzalez99
Reel Rookie

Yes, the problem with two factor for the smart home app is that the app is not just for the cameras, it is for the plugs, which I use many times per day for turning on and off different lights in my house. It is ridiculous to type in a code every time just to do this