Smart home app

Learn how to use the Roku home app to control the smart devices in your home. Join the online community forum for troubleshooting tips and helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jrod63
Reel Rookie

Re: Can't setup home monitoring

I'm having the same issue as everyone else trying to set up Roku smart home system.  I installed Roku smart home app on my android phone. Version android 9 by the way.  The first time after downloading app, I opened it and it crashed repeatedly. I uninstalled and reinstalled app and the crashes continued, I uninstalled and cleared the cache on my phone reinstalled the app and finally was able to get to the log in screen without crashes. After logging in and getting to the point of setting up the Roku smart hub and pressing the button to do so, the loading icon shows on my phone screen for about 3 seconds and then disappears. After that nothing. I have tried repeating all of the above steps many times and still nothing.  App broken again? Without the app working this entire system is worthless. That includes the entire Roku Smart Home System, two cameras and two solar panels. 

Urgent help and a fix from Roku support needed before I return entire system.   

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jrod63,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem with your Roku Smart Home app. Kindly provide the following details so we can escalate this to the appropriate Roku team.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Brand, model, and current OS that the mobile device is running.
  • Version of the Roku mobile app that your mobile device is using.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
oeleeds
Reel Rookie

@RokuEuniceL 

I am having the same problem. My monitoring hub is showing three solid lights. I have it connected by ethernet after not being able to get it connected via 2.4Hz wifi.

Each time I go into the Roku Smart Home app > Monitoring > Set up System > 1. Install devices > Roku Monitoring Hub

I get a loading sign for about a second or two and then it disappears and there are no further options. 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Welcome and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @oeleeds.

We appreciate you reaching out for support. We'd be more than happy to find you the best resolution possible.

Before proceeding, may we first know what model is your smartphone? We suggest removing the Smart Home app > restarting your phone > and re-installing the app. In addition, we also recommend using a different smartphone to see if it will make any difference. 

Let us know how it goes and we'll go from there. Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jrod63
Reel Rookie

Hello, I'm not sure what worked for me will work for you but here goes. As stated, I was having the same issue as you are now and solved the problem out of complete frustration and anger.

Power up monitoring hub and connect it to your internet as stated in directions. Either by Wi-Fi or hard wire. I used hard wire. 

When you first begin set up, do not attempt to setup hub first. Go into setup procedure and try to pair or add a door/window sensor first. When I did this it asked me to set up monitoring hub. It shouldn't have happened, but it did. Then after setting up monitoring hub and updating software, everything else should be a breeze.

Hope this helps and let me know if this worked out for you.   

0 Kudos
oeleeds
Reel Rookie

@Jrod63 @RokuCarly 

What Jrod said, worked.

This is definitely an issue and I would recommend that this be informed to the app design team/programming team so that the directions that are provided with the unit and online will take you to the appropriate set up screens. To say this is frustrating would be an understatement. This should be straightforward and it most definitely was not. 

0 Kudos
Jrod63
Reel Rookie

Hey, I'm happy that it worked for you.

I believe that the problem is in their app, and I explained this to another community contributor at that time and I guess they did nothing to pass my information along to fix or remedy the situation.

Again, I'm glad my work around worked for you.  

0 Kudos
oeleeds
Reel Rookie

@Jrod63 any chance you have a fox for the hub not updating and not being able to connect the entry sensors or key pad? I am about ready to give up and return it all.

0 Kudos
Jrod63
Reel Rookie

Hi again, 

Without seeing exactly what is going on with your system, I will try to help you. After you get the hub started and online for the first time you should have been instructed to update hub firmware. I was told by others that hub firmware needs to be updated before anything else gets linked to the hub. 

If you were not instructed to update hub firmware at initial startup time, you will probably need to go back and update hub firmware now. I would go into hub settings on the app and check that the hub firmware is up to date now.  

If all else fails, start over by deleting door sensors/contacts, motion detectors or whatever else from the hub and try to pair everything again. 

Hope that helps you. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.