Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
egmorin

activating a new roku tv without a remote

Jump to solution

I purchased a used roku tv with no remote. I brought it home and it cant connect to the wifi. I put a roku remote pro on my phone and it wont connect to the tv. I see I have to have them pair up but I cant get into the tv settings without a working remote. The remote says I need the TV IP address, but I cant get into the tv without the remote. Its a negative cycle. How do I connect the tv to wifi without getting into the tv. How do I get the tv IP address to pair up to the phone if I cant get the phone remote to sync up with the tv to toggle through the tv settings? Additionally, do I need to sign up for an account to use the tv?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: activating a new roku tv without a remote

Jump to solution

You do need a Roku user account to activate the TV. But there's no charge for that and there are advantages to having it linked to a user account. But since you posted here, you obviously have one. 🙂

You do have to have a remote to get the TV connected to WiFi. If the TV has an Ethernet jack (most do but not all) the TV will get an IP address from your network and then you can use the app. You can also get an inexpensive (under $10) IR remote that will work on the TV from almost any store that sells such things. Most universal remotes have the Roku code set, but check the packaging to be certain before you buy one. All Roku TVs will also work with one of the WiFi Direct voice remotes. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The TV won’t have an IP address until the Router assigns one. And that won’t happen until you connect it to the Wi-Fi.  So, get a remote and connect it.

Or get the previous owner to tell you his SSID and passphrase (probably unlikely) and set those up in your router.

Banned but back. Because why not?
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You do need a Roku user account to activate the TV. But there's no charge for that and there are advantages to having it linked to a user account. But since you posted here, you obviously have one. 🙂

You do have to have a remote to get the TV connected to WiFi. If the TV has an Ethernet jack (most do but not all) the TV will get an IP address from your network and then you can use the app. You can also get an inexpensive (under $10) IR remote that will work on the TV from almost any store that sells such things. Most universal remotes have the Roku code set, but check the packaging to be certain before you buy one. All Roku TVs will also work with one of the WiFi Direct voice remotes. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.