Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rickster22
Reel Rookie

[SOLVED] YouTube app constant buffering

Jump to solution

Great thread! I just started experiencing this buffering problem out of the blue today. I tried all of the suggestions, including removing the YouTube app and rebooting the Roku, but it had no effect. I spent the whole day pissing around on this. I finally got to the part of the thread where someone notes that they are YouTube premium users, and that the buffering issue goes away when they log in as guest. I am seeing exactly the same thing.

To add another piece of info, if I go to a live stream content rather than an uploaded content, it seems to work fine with no buffering. My theory is that the difference is that there are not any commercials Inserted into live streams.

I am now almost sure that the issue is that Google has a problem at the point where it would insert a commercial.  if the user is a premium account,  so it should not show any adds, it is getting mixed up. And hanging.

Using the YouTube nerd tool, you can see the buffer holding steady, and then all of a sudden it starts going down. After 30 seconds or a minute, the buffer gets to the empty point, and then it just hangs.

The weird thing is that it started out of the blue. As far as I can see neither YouTube or Roku have been updated in the last few days...so I don't understand why this just started.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Suddenly YouTube Premium slow and buffering constantly.

Jump to solution

Hi, Community users.

Thanks for reporting the issue you have encountered with the YouTube app.

We believe that Google has fixed the buffering, lagging, and freezing issues with the YouTube app. We encourage you to try accessing and streaming the app again.

If you are still experiencing the same problem, please inform us, and we will continue to assist you.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
104 REPLIES 104
Azucena

YouTube is not working on TV

Jump to solution

Hey there, it's been smooth sailing with YouTube on my TV until yesterday when I wanted to use it. Oddly, I got a message saying I didn't have an internet connection, even though everything seemed fine. I tried reinstalling the app, but now I can't seem to get it back. Any help with fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
RokuElmer-H
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: YouTube is not working on TV

Jump to solution

Hi, @Azucena!

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reaching out to us about the trouble you've been experiencing accessing your YouTube channel. We are fully aware of the issue and have been active since yesterday.

We are glad to inform you that the issue you reported has been resolved successfully. We kindly invite you to attempt the task again by following these troubleshooting steps: Press the Home button, go to Settings, select System, choose System restart, and then hit Restart.

Kindly let us know if these troubleshooting steps have made any difference to your concern.

Sincerely,
Elmer

Elmer H.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
wright8947

Youtube live cam freezing on Roku tv

Jump to solution

Having issues with the Youtube app specifically the live cams on youtube, they play fine on LG tv but have started freezing and won't play on my roku. I have done a reset, cleared cached, turned tv off and back on, reset internet, nothing. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Lisagreyes
Channel Surfer

Youtube lagging - unwatchable

Jump to solution

Suddenly youtube is lagging every few seconds and freezes.  Sometimes it starts to play again if I advance a frame or two using the remote but not often.

I have tried uninstaĺling the youtube app, restarting my roku device, and re-installing youtube app.  No success.

I turned off 1-touch in settings but it did not help.

My internet connection is excellent and i restarted my router.

Please assist me.

Thanks

@support1  @support 

Rickster22
Reel Rookie

Re: YouTube app constant buffering

Jump to solution

Actually, I just looked at the YouTube app, and it doesn't tell me when it was updated, but the version number is web_20240612_12_RC00, which implies it was either built or distributed on June 12, which is only 2 days ago...so it may well have been updated just before this problem started. Hopefully they fix it quickly. It is ironic that being a paid user is what is destroying the user experience!  I certainly am not going to continue paying for a broken app, especially if the only way to fix it is to stop paying!

bax

Re: Youtube lagging - unwatchable

Jump to solution

I’ve got the same problem. I guess it’s because of the recent update or something.

LadyshipErin
Reel Rookie

YouTube videos constantly buffering

Jump to solution

For the past two days when I try and watch YouTube on my Roku device only, the videos are buffering so bad they are unwatchable. I have done all the steps, deleted app, restarted Roku, reinstall app, and it is still a problem. 

mdmbrad
Reel Rookie

Re: YouTube videos constantly buffering

Jump to solution

I am having the exact same issue for the last two days. Only on my tree Roku's  no problem on PC's or tablets connected to the same WIFI network. Prior to this I have never had any issues for over five years.

ChristineA

Re: Streaming app issues with YouTube and Netflix

Jump to solution

It was literally working fine half the day yesterday and then out of nowhere, every video I play will buffer until I exit the app. Yes I checked my network connection,  yes I did a hard reset, yes I Uninstalled and reinstalled the app and checked for updates. I've done literally everything and it still does this. I even connected my phone to the TV and tried youtube that way and....nothing. Every roku tv in my home has some kind of issue and it's ridiculous. I just want this fixed. I am wasting money on these awful tvs. Help please. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.