Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
46goat
Reel Rookie

Where to plug in the Roku Express 4K+

Jump to solution

The setup instructions say that "for the best streaming experience", the power source should be a wall outlet, but that alternatively, it can be plugged into one of your TV's USB ports.

Does this mean that it makes any difference as to your TV being able to show streaming video in 4K (or UHD?) resolution? I have a Samsung Q80BD which is capable of that so far as I know.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Where to plug in the Roku Express 4K+

Jump to solution

Greetings @46goat 

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for posting regarding your inquiry of how to power your Roku device.

Please be aware that we alway recommend powering the Roku device to a wall outlet as powering a device through the TV USB port may not provide sufficient power to run the device optimally.

We hope this clarifies your inquiry. Should you have another inquiry or issue, please don't hesitate posting in the Roku Community again.

Happy Streaming,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @46goat,

We appreciate you for following up regarding your inquiry on setting up your Roku device.

In addition to what @RokuDanny-R provided, connecting to a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your streaming player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your streaming player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to the USB port on your TV.

• Note: Most Roku streaming players connected to the USB port on your TV will lose power when the TV goes into standby. This means that your streaming player will “boot up” every time the TV is turned on. Although this is generally fast, it can be avoided by connecting the streaming player to a wall power outlet. Also, much like “apps” on your smartphone, Roku channels are cached the first time they are launched so they load faster; however, the cache is emptied when the streaming player powers down.

Thank you for providing us with an opportunity to assist you and thank you for choosing Roku.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Greetings @46goat 

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for posting regarding your inquiry of how to power your Roku device.

Please be aware that we alway recommend powering the Roku device to a wall outlet as powering a device through the TV USB port may not provide sufficient power to run the device optimally.

We hope this clarifies your inquiry. Should you have another inquiry or issue, please don't hesitate posting in the Roku Community again.

Happy Streaming,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
46goat
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for the reply, Danny. I still have a question about this though. If we assume that the USB port DOES supply sufficient power for the Roku Express 4K+ to operate the device optimally, will it provide the exact same quality of picture as plugging the device into a wall outlet?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @46goat,

We appreciate you for following up regarding your inquiry on setting up your Roku device.

In addition to what @RokuDanny-R provided, connecting to a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your streaming player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your streaming player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to the USB port on your TV.

• Note: Most Roku streaming players connected to the USB port on your TV will lose power when the TV goes into standby. This means that your streaming player will “boot up” every time the TV is turned on. Although this is generally fast, it can be avoided by connecting the streaming player to a wall power outlet. Also, much like “apps” on your smartphone, Roku channels are cached the first time they are launched so they load faster; however, the cache is emptied when the streaming player powers down.

Thank you for providing us with an opportunity to assist you and thank you for choosing Roku.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
46goat
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks, Mary, I appreciate that info! My nearest wall outlet was hard to access so I took the easy route and used the USB option. I will bite the bullet and move my heavy entertainment center cabinet so I can use that outlet.

Rick

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.