Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveInPA
Reel Rookie

Streambar usable without HDMI-ARC or optical ports?

Jump to solution

Hi, I just bought a Streambar(my first Roku device) and the instructions say I need an HDMI-ARC port or optical port on my TV.  My TV is a few years old(2014 Funai/Manavox 50ME314V) and it has three regular HDMI but no ARC and no optical port.

Can I still use this Roku or do I need a different device and a regular sound bar?  BTW I am admittedly technologically ignorant so talk to me like I'm 5(maybe 3). 🙂  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streambar usable without HDMI-ARC or optical ports?

Jump to solution

@SteveInPA- I don't have a Streambar, but this is my understanding (which could well be wrong):

An HDMI-ARC and/or Optical connection from the TV to the Streambar is needed in order to deliver audio FROM THE TV to the Streambar.  Lacking either of these two connections, you'll only hear audio from the Roku function via the Streambar's speakers.  Other functions on the TV will just play through the TV's own speakers.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@SteveInPA wrote:

Thanks so much! So if I understand correctly, everything I get through the Roku will have audio through the Streambar.  The Roku will be the sole source of programs for this TV, so I'm good to go right?  FYI the TV is specific to our toddler's playroom, so a few specific "channels" for kids is all we plan to have on it.

If eventually we add a game console I realize it will only output through the TV speakers, right?

Thanks again.  

All the Roku-based apps' audio will be through the streambar itself, so you're good to go.

Yes - anything connected to/through the TV's input ports will only come through the TV's speakers, unless and until either ARC is enabled (new TV?) or an Optical cable is connected (new TV?).

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@SteveInPA- I don't have a Streambar, but this is my understanding (which could well be wrong):

An HDMI-ARC and/or Optical connection from the TV to the Streambar is needed in order to deliver audio FROM THE TV to the Streambar.  Lacking either of these two connections, you'll only hear audio from the Roku function via the Streambar's speakers.  Other functions on the TV will just play through the TV's own speakers.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
SteveInPA
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks so much! So if I understand correctly, everything I get through the Roku will have audio through the Streambar.  The Roku will be the sole source of programs for this TV, so I'm good to go right?  FYI the TV is specific to our toddler's playroom, so a few specific "channels" for kids is all we plan to have on it.

If eventually we add a game console I realize it will only output through the TV speakers, right?

Thanks again.  

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@SteveInPA wrote:

Thanks again.  

All the Roku-based apps' audio will be through the streambar itself, so you're good to go.

Yes - anything connected to/through the TV's input ports will only come through the TV's speakers, unless and until either ARC is enabled (new TV?) or an Optical cable is connected (new TV?).

peterohlin
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I would love to hear if this worked out.  I have a Samsung TV with just regular HDMI (no ARC) ports and no optical.  I just want to use the Streambar to listen to audio from Roku apps.  I don't need it for any other source.  Will a regular HDMI port suffice for that?  Thanks to anybody who can answer this.  

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It will work fine.

peterohlin
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for this.  It does work perfectly fine with just regular HDMI.  It is strange that the Roku packaging says the device requires ARC or optical ports.  In any case, I'm really happy with it.  

0 Kudos
Logan92

Jump to solution

Is it possible to connect the streambar to a projector via bluetooth and have the audio come from the streambar and the video show on the projector?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@Logan92, no.  Wireless video isn't possible.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
olgageorg

Jump to solution

Make sure the Roku isn't muted- the volume controls are on the side of the remote!

0 Kudos