Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TRN100

Roku not an option if you live in South Africa

Jump to solution

Do not consider a Roku streaming device if you live in South Africa - recently acquired Express 4K+(2021) 

No search functionality on menu, No Roku channel, Voice activation on remote do not work in SA, No Prime Video, Britbox, Disney+. Showmax - please consider alternatives - 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku not an option if you live in South Africa

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Channel availability/access as well as features on Roku devices will vary from region to region. A Roku device will work in any location, however, channels may not be available on your device in that location, based on each channel provider's discretion. For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about whether they offer their channel/service on the Roku platform in your region. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
TipTeQ

Jump to solution

I can indeed confirm that this is still the case in June 2023 (with Roku Streaming Stick 4K+).

I just got my colleagues to bring one of these through from the UK to give to my folks (their TV is too old to install Prime and Disney+). I didn't even think to research something like this (why is all of this so region blocked? I just don't understand). You can't even install the Android App in South Africa. 

Thank you @TRN100 for trying to warn people against this, wish I had seen it in time 😞

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Channel availability/access as well as features on Roku devices will vary from region to region. A Roku device will work in any location, however, channels may not be available on your device in that location, based on each channel provider's discretion. For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about whether they offer their channel/service on the Roku platform in your region. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Shawn007

Jump to solution

What I don't understand is that Disney+, Prime Video etc is available in South Africa. I went and bought other products because Roku doesn't have any support in South Africa. 

After spending quite amount for the Roku device. The company is clearly not concerned about making sure regions have access to their channels. So you can respond the same to every comment but clients need to be warned about this. 

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Shawn007,

Thanks for reaching out to us in the Roku Community!

Please be advised that the availability of content on the Roku channel varies depending on your region. It is important to keep in mind that we do not program any apps for our channel partners. They will most likely provide a variety of app bundles tailored to the platform, and the channel partner is solely responsible for managing these apps.

There may be some instances in which the particular channel provider demands additional information or facts on the subscribers that we do not have access to, and we recommend to our customers that they get in touch with the channel provider directly.

Thanks for your understanding!

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Please stop giving su the politically correct answr and tell us if you are ever going to work on giving us proper support. Example, Jellyfin works on any device in SA except on roku. Why doesnt your Voice or Search fucntion work on Roku devices in South Africa? Either tell us to go screw ourselves or tell us that its a work in progress.