Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KPyall

Roku Streaming Stick ceases up at random

I have a Roku Streaming Stick (3600 series), with its USB cable connecting to a Raspberry Pi (if you don't know what that is, it's a small computer, I previously used the Nintendo Switch dock).

Sometimes, it works perfectly fine, but sometimes, both the remote (sans the power and volume buttons) and stick cease to function, and assumes it's connected to the TV's USB port. (it annoys me because it usually happens in the middle of a video I'm playing on YouTube)

Because you also can't use a phone to control the device, the only way to fix this is by turning off the Roku, moving it to another USB port, and powering it on.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Streaming Stick ceases up at random

@KPyall 

The USB cable on the Roku 3600 is simply for providing power to the Roku device.

It really can't assume anything (it doesn't know where it is drawing power).

You can try using a longer micro-usb to USB-A cable and then a 5volt, 1amp USB charging adapter (like a cell phone charging adapter) and plug it directly into the wall outlet and see if that resolves your issue.

Roku sells a 5ft cable, but you can find them in just about any electronics dept in a store.  https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-micro-usb-power-adaptor

----

Your Pi may be either entering into a sleep mode/suspend mode that is cutting power to the Roku device.   Depending on the build and model, you may need to look at the Sleep, Idle, or Halt settings.  You can try adjusting the Pi's power settings if you wish, or just use an alternative power source to provide continuous power to the Roku device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Streaming Stick ceases up at random

@KPyall-

Adding to the reply from @AvsGunnar ..

The USB ports on many televisions only supply 0.5 amp or less, which is not enough to power a Roku reliably.  A minimum of 1 amp is recommended.  It may appear to start up okay, but when it runs into something that requires more power than the TV's USB port can provide, something's got to give. In many cases this results in shutting down the stream you are viewing and exiting back to the Roku home screen.

If this is a new problem, possibly an update to either the Roku operating software or to some channel app software is using a little more power than in the past. If you were just barely scraping by before, this might push you over the edge.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.