Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kasper0629
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku 3800x now always powers up in Recovery mode (light Purple Screen)

Jump to solution

I tried both.  still same

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@kasper0629

Thanks for the update. 

We apologize to hear that it did not help the problem on your Roku device. Our support team is now aware of your issue and I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RokuNimfa-C 

A few days back, I had stated the Roku was installing final updates on the Dark Purple screen after the recovery & bootup screens, this resulted in the following update on 4/28/23 around 3AM

Version 12.0.0,  Build 4178

... I checked this, this morning.

To use the Roku supplied USB Power supply, I had to use a 120v extension cord with the  supply I installed this last night (this is getting the same 120v house current), it appears this did not appear to fix the issue (so far).  I'm going to watch it for a few days, do you see any problems using the extension cord?  I also noticed the Roku USB 120v supply is not polarized at the wall plug.

Again the unit was working fine, I was powering it from a USB charging station for around a year before it developed this issue.... before that I was powering off the TV sets USB port, though when I switched TV's the port on the replacement set stated the USB was a service port only, plus I wanted to separate the Roku device from the TV for possible RFI interference. 

I'm taking it would not be a good idea to power off a USB Hub device then?  I was looking for something  I could easily switch off the Roku Device power rather than continuously unplugging it.  One other item would be the actual USB Cord that came with the device itself to possibly be at fault (???). 

0 Kudos
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RokuNimfa-C 

Another update came through this morning, once again after the Recovery mode on a dark purple screen screen & after the boot up v12.0.0 Build 4181-55.

Should the Version suffix in recovery mode align with the current build?  Note the Screens shots below were taken previously.  The Current Build on the stick is v12.0.0, Build 4181-55 now.  They were the same before, but not now.

I did a restart after this mornings update, but still got the light purple Recovery screen with these same #'s below. 

P4239141 - Copy.JPGP4249145 - Copy.JPG

The above Dark Grey screen was taken earlier, this screen now reflects the current build of 12.0.0, Build 4181     

0 Kudos
z-bob
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem; the device goes into Recovery every time I turn it on.  This started after a software update. I tried a factory reset, and the problem remains except now I have to enter my wifi password every time 😠  

Is it possible to rollback updates to a previous version?  (one that works)

0 Kudos
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@z-bob  What version did this issue start to occur?  I was thinking of doing a reset but would afraid it would brick the unit.  I am curious what exactly cause it, it almost looks like there was an update that never actually completed on the morning 4/18... & on the next power up is when the Recovery Mode started occurring on every powerup. .

Did the reset take this back to a prior version?  As you stated it did not solve this issue.  My other Roku Express 3900 appeared unaffected, but I noted it is still @ 11.5.0 Build 6040.  

0 Kudos
z-bob
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I don't know.  A couple of weeks ago, there were 2 or 3 updates back-to-back.  Perhaps they were the same update that was failing to complete.  Then about a week later (not sure if there was an update or not) the Recovery thing started happening.  When I did the factory reset, it rolled *way* back to a very early release; whatever version was in 3800x when I bought it.  (the user interface is different, and I had to pair the remote again and also register the device)

I'll power it off again now to see what version it's running...  It says 55C.50R06040A, but it hasn't done the recovery yet...  Entering my wifi password again... (grrr)  Now it's updating and about the restart...  In the System menu under Software Update is says I'm running version 12.0.0 Build 4181.  I don't know where to find a version in the format 55C.50R(etc).  Since I was here, I clicked Check now (in case the Recovery didn't really complete) and it says I'm up-to-date.

0 Kudos
NB5555

Jump to solution

I am having the exact same issue. After the 12.0.0 build 4181-55 update my Roku boots silently with he dancing Roku letters, goes to the purple recovery mode screen, then boots with sound. After that it runs as normal, it's getting really annoying.

0 Kudos
DCarbajal
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuNimfa-C . I am having the same issue as @z-bob.

This started off just as @Bismarck318 mentioned where it would start with the dancing roku letters. Then go to a recovery screen and restart. Just inconvenient. I did a factory restart and now I have to connect to wifi and go through the set up process everytime I turn the device on.

I've tried reseting the roku stick and my wireless router. I plugged the roku stick into a different hdmi port on my TV and switched from USB connection plugged into TV to plugged into wall for power source. It's still not working.

Please Help

Model # 3800RW 

Serial # YF0002420160

Device ID: CU3880420160

Version: 55C.50R06040A

Software Version: 12.0.0 • build 4181-55

Thank you

DCarbajal

0 Kudos
Kieth
Binge Watcher

Streaming Stick 3800 Starting in recovery mode

Jump to solution

Every time I turn on my TV it starts in recovery mode 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.