Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArisTC
Reel Rookie

ROKU Ultra reverts to TV speaker instead of receiver

I've had 7 ROKUs, and the latest ROKU Ultra, purchased last week, will not work properly.

My system: Hisense 85U7K + Denon AVR-S570BT + Bose speakers. Not my first time setting up my home theater. The system connects the receiver to the TV via the HDMI ARC since that's how I get surround sound from the 5.1 speakers. That's the heart of the home theater system, the TV+Receiver connection. ROKU is like my Blu-ray and Xbox, a way of delivering content to the TV and receiver.

Problem: I keep getting the popup "The HDMI cable may not be plugged into the ARC input on your display. Plug the HDMI cable into display input labeled HDMI ARC." and forces the TV setup to use the TV speaker instead of the surround speakers connected to my receiver.

Tried every conceivable setting, including turning off 1-touch play. I tried every available HDMI port, through the receiver and through the TV, and it's the same every time. My older ROKUS are fine, this new one doesn't want to work with my TV and receiver.

Everything is new and everything is updated. The advice from ROKU support was to connect connecting to the HDMI ARC port, which makes no sense for a 5.1 home theater setup. The TV came with Google TV, which I do not like, but I'm being forced to use it since it works with my receiver and delivers 5.1 sound, which the ROKU Ultra does not.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ROKU Ultra reverts to TV speaker instead of receiver

The Only Roku's that should be connected to hdmi-arc are Roku's with speakers like Roku Smart Soundbar, Roku Streambar, or Roku Streambar pro. Roku Ultras do not need to be connected to the arc input. There are no two-way communications going on with Roku Ultra. Unlike Roku with speakers built in. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Your Roku will work when plugged into any of the HDMI inputs, including the HDMI ARC, as long as you are not using it for an audio system/surround sound.

If you are then your audio system should be plugged into the HDMI ARC input and your Roku should be plugged into a different HDMI input.

Some audio/surround sound systems also have the option of using an optical audio out instead of HDMI. If you are able, try using that.

Sounds to me like the Roku you got is junk if your older ones worked fine and you are having problems with this new one. If you are unsatisfied I suggest you return it as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
ArisTC
Reel Rookie

I replaced the unit. Not difference, I'm afraid.

0 Kudos
ArisTC
Reel Rookie

I agree. That's how it's connected. Replaced the unit, but still the same problem. Something between the firmware of the Hisense TV, the Denon receiver and current Roku Ultra  (my 2020 Ultra works fine, although I don't get Dolby Atmos so it's pointless to use it) disables the HDMI ARC connection between the TV and the receiver.

As long as the Roku is connected, the TV both disables the HDMI ARC and reverts to using the TV speaker. Functionally, this makes no difference to the sound since the Roku is connected to the receiver and so I still get surround sound. The main downside is that the Roku remote cannot now control the TV volume.

I assume the HDMI connection works since I can get both picture on the TV and sound from the receiver though the Roku streaming. It's the ARC part that is functionally disabled.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.