Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TXtech2
Reel Rookie

RCA Roku TV to Samsung sound bar with Dolby Atmos

I have a 65" RCA Roku TV. Just purchased a Samsung sound bar with subwoofer (WHQ900A). The TV and sound bar are both connected through the HDMI ARC connection so i should be able to achieve Dolby Atmos but I am not. Is there  a setting that I am missing? Is it only available with certain streaming services? Does it actually require two HDMI cords (1 to the HDMI ARC port and one to regular HDMI port)? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have tried searching just about everywhere I can think of.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: RCA Roku TV to Samsung sound bar with Dolby Atmos

You didnt mention the soundbar model - make sure that soundbar is Atmos specced/enabled  WITH the ARC port (some are not, they only do Atmos via the HDMI inputs)

Only one HDMI connection is used between the TV and AVR/Soundbar - just make sure the HDMI cable is ARC/Ethernet enabled, and connected to each device's ARC port, and you should be fine.

Otherwise, make sure you enable HDMI CEC on both the TV and Soundbar so that ARC works properly.

Dolby Atmos is only available for certain content on certain services (usually the content is marked with a "Dolby Atmos" tag, such as on NetFlix, Disney+, HBO Max, etc).

Its possible with certain devices/settings that all content may be converted to Atmos by default in certain home theater setups (e.g. the 4800 - Ultra 2020), but that of course isnt the same as native Atmos (and not something most folks want)

If you dont see an Atmos tag with the content, you wont be getting Atmos.

0 Kudos
TXtech2
Reel Rookie

So the soundbar model number is HW-Q900A. It is atmos capable, It is connected via the HDMI arc ports to the TV and bar, I do believe that the CEC is enabled. 

I have seen the Dolby atmos logo has popped up on the marvel movies on disney+ but not on netflix. 

I'm just not sure if theres something else that i should be doing. 

Thanks for your reply, it was very informative.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Try the refreshing the cec devices in the menu of the tv? 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

"Pop ups" and "Tags" are not the same thing.

Tags are shown as quality availability indicators when looking at the specific content details within an app (not during actual playback):  E.g. "4K" "UHD" "HDR" "HDR10" "Dolby Vision" "Dolby Atmos" "Atmos" "HD" "5.1"

Pop-ups (aka "Badges") are audio/video/etc quality indicators shown on-screen at the start of or during playback (they indicate real-time quality levels during playback): See above for examples.

To put it simply (and understand the difference):

Tags=Available quality levels for playback

Popups/Badges=Actual quality levels during playback

Its more important to check the TAGS of the content details within each app (NF and D+ only show quality levels relative to what the Roku TV software detects as the current system capabilities, and NF has some additional requirements)

You might want to state your Roku TV model # and firmware version:  Settings/System/About

...and the current audio settings:  Settings/Audio  (list all the settings and their current state)

0 Kudos
TXtech2
Reel Rookie

So i have seen the HDR "tag" pop up on screen at the start of video playback on disney+, for comparison the TV also told me that it had switched over to game mode when i switched to Xbox. I have not seen anything other or highter that HDR pop up on screen. 

The RCA Roku TV has been updated to the latest update available (I think 10.0?) as for audio settings i'm at work right now and don't know the settings from here. I can get them when i get home in the morning. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@TXtech2 wrote:

So i have seen the HDR "tag" pop up on screen at the start of video playback on disney+, for comparison the TV also told me that it had switched over to game mode when i switched to Xbox. I have not seen anything other or highter that HDR pop up on screen. 

The RCA Roku TV has been updated to the latest update available (I think 10.0?) as for audio settings i'm at work right now and don't know the settings from here. I can get them when i get home in the morning. 

You still havent stated your Roku TV model # or firmware version:  Settings/System/About

You are still confusing the issue. Tags are in the info/details pages for content (not during playback).  Popups/Badges are during playback.

You need to look at the TAGS (from the details page of a show/movie) BEFORE you play it to see available quality levels. 

E.g. in NetFlix, select "Lost in Space" (dont play it) and right underneath the title on the details/info page, you will see several tags - what tags do you see?  If you dont see a Dolby Atmos tag, you wont get Atmos from any NF content.

In Disney+, select "The Mandalorian" (dont play it) and right underneath the title on the details/info page, you will see several tags - what tags do you see?  If you dont see Dolby Atmos tag, you wont get Atmos from any D+ content.

Again, make sure you configure your Roku TV to enable CEC & ARC and "Auto passthrough" mode (if available) - use this article:  https://support.roku.com/article/360050643353

0 Kudos
TXtech2
Reel Rookie

okay yes I was confusing the two. if I access Disney+ and select avengers endgame it does say Dolby atmos underneath it. on Netflix it still shows up as 5.1 surround. as far as the model# and firmware version i will have to wait to get home before I can provide that information. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@TXtech2 wrote:

okay yes I was confusing the two. if I access Disney+ and select avengers endgame it does say Dolby atmos underneath it. on Netflix it still shows up as 5.1 surround. as far as the model# and firmware version i will have to wait to get home before I can provide that information. 

Yes, this is what I expected and is typical for nearly every Roku player (not TV) model that supports Dolby passthrough (the new Express 4K/4K+ models support NetFlix Atmos without a Dolby decoder due to their updated NF client).

You'll be able to get Atmos on all apps except NF (since it requires either a Dolby decoder or an updated NF client app w/newer internal SDK as state above).

Just verify your CEC/ARC/Auto passthrough settings are all enabled.

0 Kudos