Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emofree7

Not a free HDMI port

Jump to solution

I don't have an available HDMI port in my TV. How else can I set up my streaming stick?  I have three open USB ports but my receiver is needing the one HDMI port I've got. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Not a free HDMI port

Jump to solution

You are receiving some bad information here.  The ONLY audio/video output from a Roku Streaming Stick or Streaming Stick+ is the HDMI plug on the stick.  You connect this directly to an HDMI port on the TV (or to the TV HDMI port using an HDMI extension cord with an HDMI plug at one end and an HDMI socket at the other). 

The USB connection on the stick is used to provide power to the stick (and in the case of the Stick+ with the enhanced wifi receiver, to provide the wifi connection) -- it does not provide any audio or video function.  Also, you may be able to plug this into the USB port on a tv to obtain power but be aware that many TV USB ports only supply 1/2 amp, which is not enough to power a Roku reliably.  For this you need at least 1 amp.  The preferred power connection is through the USB power adapter that came with the unit, connected to house power.

To solve the single HDMI port problem, you can purchase an HDMI switch (not HDMI splitter) and connect the Roku and other device to the switch and on to the TV via HDMI like this:

Hook up diagramHook up diagramThen use the switch to choose which device you wish to view at any given time.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
C_I
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@emofree7 wrote:

I don't have an available HDMI port in my TV. How else can I set up my streaming stick?  I have three open USB ports but my receiver is needing the one HDMI port I've got. 

You should be able to set it up through one of your USB ports. Why do you need an HDMI port for a Roku Stick? 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Because a roku stick has a hdmi connector built in, it needs a hdmi input to connect to, plain and simple. ALL roku need a hdmi input to connect to, a usb could possible power a roku stick but still needs to be plugged into hdmi input. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
C_I
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Because a roku stick has a hdmi connector built in, it needs a hdmi input to connect to, plain and simple. ALL roku need a hdmi input to connect to, a usb could possible power a roku stick but still needs to be plugged into hdmi input. 

Yes, and all other Roku devices need a HDMI input and or an AV input But, since a Roku Stick connects to the USB port, it should work. Try to just connect it to your USB port first. Even if it has an HDMI connector built in,  It might be an optional connection. The only time it would be required is if you wanted to watch it in HD. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Look for an HDMI switch or an AVR (Audio/Video Receiver).  That said, are you sure the TV only has 1 HDMI port?  Mine has some on the side and another set on the back.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

You are receiving some bad information here.  The ONLY audio/video output from a Roku Streaming Stick or Streaming Stick+ is the HDMI plug on the stick.  You connect this directly to an HDMI port on the TV (or to the TV HDMI port using an HDMI extension cord with an HDMI plug at one end and an HDMI socket at the other). 

The USB connection on the stick is used to provide power to the stick (and in the case of the Stick+ with the enhanced wifi receiver, to provide the wifi connection) -- it does not provide any audio or video function.  Also, you may be able to plug this into the USB port on a tv to obtain power but be aware that many TV USB ports only supply 1/2 amp, which is not enough to power a Roku reliably.  For this you need at least 1 amp.  The preferred power connection is through the USB power adapter that came with the unit, connected to house power.

To solve the single HDMI port problem, you can purchase an HDMI switch (not HDMI splitter) and connect the Roku and other device to the switch and on to the TV via HDMI like this:

Hook up diagramHook up diagramThen use the switch to choose which device you wish to view at any given time.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
whispercrafts
Reel Rookie

Re: Not a free HDMI port.......................

Jump to solution

I thought they used to make rokus with usbs?  Do they not make them anymore?  And isn't there a hdmi to usb adapter that could be used?

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Not a free HDMI port.......................

Jump to solution

@whispercrafts  Roku has never made a streaming device over USB. USB is not designed to handle that. There was a Roku about 10 years ago that used A/C cables. BTW this thread is over a year old

0 Kudos