Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asorko
Reel Rookie

Moving a Roku device from house to RV

Jump to solution

Can I transfer the Roku device I use at home to the TV in my RV, or do I have to buy a separate Roku device to use in the RV?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Moving a Roku device from house to RV

Jump to solution

Hello @asorko

Thank you for contacting us in the Community!

Roku devices are designed to be portable. However, don't forget to bring the Roku remote with you; otherwise, connecting to the new network may be difficult. Unless you're using a hotspot, you'll only need to update the Wi-Fi credentials. Simply plug the Roku device into the HDMI port of the TV at your new location and connect to the network.

Rest assured, all of your content will still be accessible to you at your new location or RV.

Regards,
Karla

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @asorko

Thank you for contacting us in the Community!

Roku devices are designed to be portable. However, don't forget to bring the Roku remote with you; otherwise, connecting to the new network may be difficult. Unless you're using a hotspot, you'll only need to update the Wi-Fi credentials. Simply plug the Roku device into the HDMI port of the TV at your new location and connect to the network.

Rest assured, all of your content will still be accessible to you at your new location or RV.

Regards,
Karla

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@asorko make sure your RV WiFi uses the same SSID and password as your home network, and the Roku will connect without any special effort on your part. If they are different, and you don't have Internet access from your RV WiFi, then you won't be able to connect the Roku.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
asorko
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you.  Would that mean that I'd have to purchase a second Roku device to use in the RV.  And, if so, would the paid subscription channels I have on the home unit also work on the RV unit, or would I have to buy new subscriptions for the RV?

0 Kudos
asorko
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you.  The device I'm using in the house is wirelessly connected to my router/modem connected to my cable service.  In the RV, I'd be using a Verizon Jetpack.  Will the set-up on the Jetpack be different from what I use at home?  Will my paid streaming services carry over from home to RV?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@asorko wrote:

Thank you.  Would that mean that I'd have to purchase a second Roku device to use in the RV.  

No, not necessarily. If the SSID and password is the same as the house WiFi, you can move the Roku between the two networks without an issue. But to answer your second question: any subscriptions made directly through Roku will work on every Roku device linked to that specific user account. You don't create a new account for each device. All eight of my devices are linked to my account. If you've subscribed directly with a provider, such as Netflix or Vudu, you can use the same login credentials for that provider on any device, regardless of who makes it. I have devices from Roku, Nvidia, Sony, and Onn. My Prime Video, Vudu, Movies Anywhere, etc. will work on all of them. I don't subscribe to any provider through Roku for that reason.

Dan

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@asorko wrote:

In the RV, I'd be using a Verizon Jetpack.  Will the set-up on the Jetpack be different from what I use at home? 

I can't say if you can change the SSID and/or password on your hotspot. But since you're using a hotspot with Internet access, that isn't necessary, as you can connect the Roku to it without an issue. Just make sure you always have your Roku remote with the player. 

I recommend testing the Roku with your hotspot before you hit the road, just to be certain there's no compatibility issues between the Roku and the Jetpack.

Dan

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.