Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BmoreBecca
Reel Rookie

Keep Getting purple screen error 020 about HDMI not being HCDP compatible

Jump to solution

I just started getting this error code and purple screen after using my Roku Express Box for over a year. I have an ONN smart TV. Never had this problem before now. I purchased a new Roku Express Box and also replaced the HDMI Cord. I'm still getting the same code. Please help????

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Keep Getting purple screen error 020 about HDMI not being HCDP compatible

Jump to solution

Hello! @BmoreBecca,

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reaching out to us about the HDCP error. We're pleased to assist.

In addition to @renojim post, when devices for watching movies and TV shows are connected using HDMI cables, each device must support the copy and content protection known as HDCP. If your Roku streaming player detects that the HDMI link with your TV, audio/video receiver (AVR), or soundbar does not support HDCP, an "HDCP Error Detected" message or purple screen like those seen below may be displayed. 

For additional troubleshooting steps, please check What to do if you see an "HDCP Error Detected" message or a purple screen.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Sometimes it's the TV that has to be reset.  Try unplugging the TV's power for a minute or so.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @BmoreBecca,

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reaching out to us about the HDCP error. We're pleased to assist.

In addition to @renojim post, when devices for watching movies and TV shows are connected using HDMI cables, each device must support the copy and content protection known as HDCP. If your Roku streaming player detects that the HDMI link with your TV, audio/video receiver (AVR), or soundbar does not support HDCP, an "HDCP Error Detected" message or purple screen like those seen below may be displayed. 

For additional troubleshooting steps, please check What to do if you see an "HDCP Error Detected" message or a purple screen.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BmoreBecca
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you   @RokuArjiemar & @renojim for your responses & very helpful information regarding my HDMI issues.

I have unplugged the power cords & the HDMI cords on both ends from everything including, the ONN TV, the Roku Express Box & the Polk DSB1 Sound Bar. The issue still remained.

I purchased a new Roku Express Box which included new HDMI cords, power cords & remote, the problem still remained. The only other thing I can think is, it's either, the Polk Sound Bar or the HDMI ports on the TV.

I'm gonna try to unhook the Polk Sound Bar completely to see if that changes anything but it doesn't connect into the Roku Box or HDMI ports on the TV to see if that makes a difference. Its a completely different connector. My last guess is that the HDMI ports on my TV have quit working & I'll need to purchase a new TV. If y'all have any other advice for me to try other than what you've given me already & I've done, please advise.

I appreciate all the help & time y'all have taken to help me with me this situation.  I appreciate it very much.

Thank You Bunches,

Rebecca 

0 Kudos
BmoreBecca
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuArjiemar & @renojim  also both of the Roku Express Boxes that I have purchased, both seem to get pretty warm, not hot but definitely warmer than I would expect them to get. Just wanted to hear your thoughts on that as well. 

Thanks Again, 

Rebecca 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.