Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDMI ARC soundbar doesnt work with Roku Streaming Stick

I have a Sony Bravia TV connected to a Yamaha soundbar using HDMI ARC.  All works fine.  When I plug in a ROKU 4K streaming stick, it will work initially but when I turn the TV back on the system will not recognize the soundbar. (I've tried this setup with both the TV and Roku remotes).   I've tried a dozen troubleshooting tips and the only thing that works is to unplug the Roku stick from the HDMI port and then plug it back in.  Then the soundbar connects.  I do not want to do this everytime I watch TV.  Does anyone have a solution?  I should mention that the ROKU setup process will not recognize the soundbar and does not play music.  I had to pretend it was working to get thru the setup.

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Rhotundra
Channel Surfer

Re: HDMI ARC soundbar doesnt work with Roku Streaming Stick

Same exact problem with my Yamaha soundbar to ARC HDMI and Roku SS4K on TCL (Google OS) tv hdmi 2. Wasted literally days on this because I hate the Google OS. 
The problem doesn’t seem to happen with a Firestick, only with a Roku. 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @kdnewstick66 & @Rhotundra,

A warm welcome here at the Roku Community!

We appreciate you for reaching us here regarding this matter. No worries, we're here to find you the best resolution possible.

Have you attempted to connect your Yamaha soundbar to a separate HDMI port and your Roku streaming stick to the HDMI ARC port to see if that resolves the issue?

Furthermore, check our Support article for further details about HDMI: How to enable HDMI-CEC and ARC on your TV.

If you need further clarification and assistance, please don't hesitate to let us know, and we'd be more than happy to continue doing so.

Warm regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Rhotundra
Channel Surfer

Appreciate all the suggestions, and I tried all of them, including trying every conceivable connection combination for a Roku 4k  steaming stick and B04 Yamaha soundbar to coexist on my TCL Android 4K TV.  I finally admitted defeat and conclude hard CEC/ARC built into one or more of them are incompatible. Being stubborn, countless hours and workaround accessories purchased were tried with no joy. My final solution was to sell the Yamaha soundbar and link the TV audio by Bluetooth to a Rotel stereo using an Auris HD. The TV, Roku and I are now happy campers. Unfortunately the Yamaha seems to be the problem with Roku compatibility on both of my systems, the other being an Aventage 7.2 AV, also limping along with a Roku Ultra. 

My advice to users is to simply avoid using a Yamaha product with a Roku product. 

0 Kudos
rmerrem
Reel Rookie

I have the same issue with a Vizio soundbar and think the problem is caused by the Roku.

DS05

Sooo. Does this mean it is impossible to use a Roku stick with any sound bar other than Roku?  Glad I checked before purchasing the device.  I have no issue with sound from my Yamaha bar and Sony Bravia TV using my current Roku Express?  Just means having to use multiple remotes but I don’t want to purchase the stick if it is going to mess things up. Help!