Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John329
Reel Rookie

Closed captions not showing on CC television shows

Although I have Closed Captions properly set in Roku (and the closed captions correctly show on most channels), there are still some channels and shows where the closed captions are not showing even though the television show name clearly shows the CC symbol next to it. Why is that happening? Is there an additional closed captions setting that I'm overlooking? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Closed captions not showing on CC television shows

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community, @John329.

We understand that you're encountering an issue with the closed captioning that is not showing on your channels. We'd be glad to investigate this for you.

To help us isolate the issue you're currently having, could you provide us with more details about:

• When did this issue first occur?
  • Could you please specify what channel is affected?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? 

In the meantime, you can visit this support article for more troubleshooting: How to enable closed captioning.

Please keep us posted for more updates.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
John329
Reel Rookie

Thanks for your reply. 

As I mentioned in my original post, I do have closed captions properly enabled and I do see the closed captions on many Roku Live TV stations. The problem is that there are a number of Roku Live TV stations that still do not display closed captions even though the name of the movie/show carries the CC symbol. As one example, I frequently watch Roku channel 300, Universal Monsters. Although the vast majority of movies on that channel carry the CC symbol, closed captions are never displayed. This has been the case since I had Roku installed on all my televisions. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Some channels do not use the Roku defaults but substitute their own methods of controlling playback related functions -- I'm guessing this is so they will have consistent controls with versions of their app running on platforms other than Roku.  Often these options are accessed by pressing the up and/or down cursor control keys while viewing the program to pop the channel's own control options on the screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
John329
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try, but I'm not too optimistic. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.