Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greg19
Reel Rookie

Can I buy an older roku model streaming player that is unsupported

Hello

I was wondering, if I bought an older roku from Amazon, can I still use it and get all of the channels from the channel store? I know that some older models are not supported anymore.  But what if I bought an older model?

Thanks for any input.

Greg

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Can I buy an older roku model streaming player that is unsupported

“all of the channels”?  Almost certainly not.  Some of them?  Maybe.  Will it get stuck trying to find an OS update from a server that may no longer exist and be completely useless?  Possibly, if it’s a really old one.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@greg19-

You can get a better answer if you tell us the Roku model you are considering.

This reference will show you the support status of older Roku models.  Many models no longer in production still receive updates from Roku:
https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/hardware.md

What it won't show you is whether some older models being supported by Roku are still being supported by the channels you're interested in.   For instance the entire family of Disney owned streaming channels has just dropped support for the Roku 4, although this model still is receiving updates from Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Supporting what @makaiguy said, it really depends on the player. But the simple answer is no, not all channels will work on many older devices. If you stick with at least a fifth generation player, every current channel should work, but even that generation is now approaching seven years old and may not be a good choice for the latest channels.

But it's up to the individual channel provider to determine what model devices will work with their channel. Most of them design their channels to work best with the latest hardware, and older devices absolutely see a performance loss with those channels. 

Also be aware that those older devices are most likely used. The odds of finding a brand new device that was released 7+ years ago are not that great, and personally I wouldn't buy any device like this used.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.