Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rockybao
Channel Surfer

Brand new roku Expresss, I can't view free channel, but i can watch other APPS

I look for solution on all thread and tried all the measures with no success. This issue is for all channels , you can see a channel but when you play it load and go dark. I tried to reset, check for system updates, check for the network, some recommend about adaptor but none of those works.
Looks like a lot people have the same problem for years and there is no straight solutions.

I tried to use roku on my phone and it does work but not sure why it doesnt work on TV.I also try hotspot but nothing.

Information about my product
Model :3960CA -Roku Express

Serial number : X02600S50E6A

Software version: 13.1.4 .build 1510-ED

UPTIME :2 hours 5 minute

Device ID: S0KE34550E6A

IP   :10.0.0.252

Canada

This is so frustrating when you can't get hold of customer support when you call them

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Brand new roku Expresss, I can't view free channel, but i can watch other APPS

Hi @Rockybao,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand you are having trouble accessing the free channels on your Roku device. Thanks for the steps you took to resolve the issue.

We appreciate you reaching out to us. We'd like to take action on this, but we need more details to determine if there are any options we can investigate further.

Refer to these questions to better identify the issue you're experiencing:

• What specific channels are you unable to access?
  • When did you start experiencing this issue from happening?
  • Did your Roku devices recently receive any software update that might have triggered this issue before this happened?
  • Who is your ISP? (Internet service provider)

With more detailed information, we'll be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Rockybao
Channel Surfer

Re: Brand new roku Expresss, I can't view free channel, but i can watch other APPS

Refer to these questions to better identify the issue you're experiencing:

• What specific channels are you unable to access?

-All channels

• When did you start experiencing this issue from happening?

-First day i bought it

• Did your Roku devices recently receive any software update that might have triggered this issue before this happened?

-Yes

• Who is your ISP? (Internet service provider)

-Shaw

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the response, @Rockybao.

In this case, we recommend following the troubleshooting steps to see if they help resolve the problem.

1. Uninstall the channel by highlighting it, pressing the * button, and selecting "remove."
  2. Clear cache and data: From the Roku home screen, navigate to Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset. Choose "Reset connection" and then-
  3. Restart your Roku device by unplugging your TV and then plugging it back in. This step can help clear any temporary cache or data-causing issues.
  4. Check your internet connection: Ensure that your Roku device is connected to a stable internet connection. You can test your internet connection by going to Settings > Network > Check connection on your Roku device. If your connection is weak or unstable, try restarting your router or contacting your internet service provider for assistance.
  5. You can reinstall the channel by pressing the home button on your Roku remote, scrolling, selecting "Store," and then adding the channel.

Suppose you consistently experience poor video quality or rebuffering on multiple streaming channels. In that case, it may be due to a slow network caused by a weak wireless signal, router issues, or internet service quality. Review the tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku device.

Note: Please ensure that your router broadcasts a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect. The Roku Express/Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum.

Feel free to keep us posted on how it goes.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Rockybao
Channel Surfer

I did all that but still having the same issue.
my wifi is 2.4 GHZ

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, @Rockybao.

Where are you currently located? It sounds like you may have created a Roku account that isn't located in your current region. Suppose channels in your area are not available. In that case, it may indicate that your device is linked to an account created in a different region where the channel provider may not offer that channel.

When creating your account, you should make sure that you are using an internet connection in the correct region. You can check your IP address's reported location by visiting www.whatismyip.com. If you see an issue, you should contact your ISP to help resolve it.

We recommend creating a new Roku account in your region. For more information about how to create a new account, visit our Support page here: How do I create a Roku® account? Once your new account is set up, try performing a factory reset on your device and linking it to your new account.

For more information about performing a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Rockybao
Channel Surfer

current in Canada.I travel between US & Canada

Rockybao
Channel Surfer

still cant watch any free live channel but i can watch on my phone with the same wifi

0 Kudos
Rockybao
Channel Surfer

I did all that. It is all channels are not working. The same channels they work on phone with the same network/wifi.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.