Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eclipse211
Channel Surfer

Audio dropouts using Roku Ultra on my brand new Samsung QN90C

Jump to solution

This never happened on my previous Samsung TV from 2012 (which I discarded 2 days ago). The TV sound works fine when I'm watching basic cable  but when streaming my Roku, the sound intermittently goes in and out creating a stutter of silence every few seconds. I've learned I can resolve the problem when I unplug the Roku and plug it back in. (doesn't matter whether it's the power cord or the HDMI cable - it works fine either way but I have to wait for the TV and Roku to do a long setup). It's driving me nuts.

I was on the phone with Samsung technical support - I called 3 different times  - and they said the TV works fine so it must be Roku. I called Roku and they did some basic trouble-shooting (system restart and software updates) and couldn't resolve anything.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Audio dropouts using Roku Ultra on my brand new Samsung QN90C

Jump to solution

Hi @Eclipse211,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community!

We understand that you are having audio troubles with your Roku Ultra, and we appreciate the steps you have taken to resolve the issue.

If you are already in touch with our Roku Support team, we recommend continuing to work with them, as they can best assist you moving forward. Also, please keep an eye on your email since they'll continue contacting you from there.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Eclipse211,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community!

We understand that you are having audio troubles with your Roku Ultra, and we appreciate the steps you have taken to resolve the issue.

If you are already in touch with our Roku Support team, we recommend continuing to work with them, as they can best assist you moving forward. Also, please keep an eye on your email since they'll continue contacting you from there.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Eclipse211
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks, but Roku kind of threw their hands up. I was dealing with phone support. After some troubleshooting, the tech support guy couldn't figure it out. However I spent 2 hours experimenting yesterday and I think I found a workaround, but it's a compromise. If I turn off ATMOS in my Samsung TV settings, the sound dropout stops during streaming on Roku. But what do I lose by giving up ATMOS? I also noticed that the Roku has audio settings which involve Dolby and possibly Atmos (I forget).  Do I leave that on or off? Do you recommend I set audio type to Auto or Passthrough?  I tried various combinations and couldn't figure out the difference.  There are no auxiliary components - just the TV and Roku.   

What do you recommend I do? 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.