Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rkw747
Reel Rookie

My Roku Express Isn't Working

My Roku Express is not connecting the remote. I'm not sure of the series. I got it in 2000, and can update once I find that info. When I try to access it using the phone app, the app can't find it. I've restarted it and unplugged it. 

It's not very old. I got it in 2000. The only thing that happened lately is I've opted to watch services directly through my TV instead of via Roku, but I use Roku for the Live TV options, which are fun to explore. The batteries in the Roku remote went bad. I changed them out, but there was battery residue in the battery area of the remote. However, it was working up until a day or so ago. 

I'm unsure how to solve it as the device isn't showing up even on the phone app after I restart or disconnect it from the power.

Has it just burnt out and it's time for a new one? 

FWIW, my wifi is fine. Everything, including my TV, is connected to it. I can't get to Roku because the player seems to have tapped out. I can stream other services via my TV like Disney+ or Netflix. I can't get to Roku because the player won't connect to either remote. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Roku Express Isn't Working

Do you have a voice remote with a microphone button and TV controls for power and volume?  If not, you have a simple remote that either works or doesn't and doesn't have to be paired.  If you have a voice remote, you may need to pair it again.  For the simple remote, you can see if it's transmitting by pointing it at a digital camera like the one in your phone.  When you press buttons on the remote you should see a glow of light coming from the end of the remote on the camera's screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
rkw747
Reel Rookie

Thanks.

It’s a very basic model. There is no voice pairing or anything fancy. I just have an Express that seems to have died.

The remote can’t find it. The remote on my phone can’t find it either. Even the screensaver I had saved isn’t running. Right now, my TV is showing the out-of-the-box Roku screensaver with a voice prompt to pair, which I can’t do. I just tried it again via my phone. I used to be able to control it with my phone from another room, and now it’s not finding the device. 

I think she’s officially dead. It seems like it. 🥺😢

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @rkw747,

Thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We apologize for the inconvenience you have gone through. And we express our gratitude for your effort in resolving the issue.

Are there any changes in the setup or settings of your Roku device or your network provider that might cause the problem? In addition, who is your ISP? (Internet service provider)

Please note that if you are unable to connect or even find any of the Roku devices with the Roku mobile app, verify that your mobile device (phone) is using Wi-Fi and connected to the same network as your Roku devices. Ensure you are not using your phone on the phone data but connected to the Wi-Fi network.

Feel free to keep us posted on what you find out, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.