Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jetdriver

480p need in configuration or setup

480p video needed as a choice in Roku Express setup. Not everyone has an excellent network connection.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 480p need in configuration or setup

Unfortunately, it's not going to happen. The video processing on the Roku only outputs in 720p and 1080p. And honestly, streaming at 720p takes almost the same bandwidth as 480p, so really wouldn't make a difference if you have a data cap on your Internet service. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Until about 5 years ago, you could get a Roku Express+ with composite outputs for old TVs.  Those did 480i (no p since old TVs were 480i.)  However, even on those models, there was apparently no way to specify 480i or 480p on the HDMI port.  480i was just a kludge to get Rokus connected to some old TVs.

Of course, you could also make a feature request, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

0 Kudos
jjturleyj
Reel Rookie

I also think that Roku needs a 480p display resolution settings because I run my Roku off of the hotspot on my phone and it would be a nice feature

0 Kudos