Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
galvinpaul1718
Reel Rookie

Why am I unable to connect to my iPad while I'm not at home?

Jump to solution

Why am I only given the option to connect to Roku over my network? I am able to watch Roku on my iPhone.

Thu mua macbook cũ giá cao
thu mua laptop cũ tphcm
Tuấn Nguyễn Mobile chuyên thu mua Laptop cũ giá cao tại TPHCM… Hỗ trợ thu Laptop cũ tại nhà – cơ quan, thu cũ lên đời. Tuấn Nguyễn thu không ngại số lượng và tình trạng của máy.

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Why am I unable to connect to my iPad while I'm not at home?

Jump to solution

Hi @galvinpaul1718

Thanks for the post.

Can you verify which Roku mobile app you are using? In addition, have you made sure that the mobile device you are accessing the Roku mobile app is on the same wireless network as your Roku device?

It is important to ensure that the mobile device you are using to access the Roku mobile app is on the same wireless network as your Roku device. This is because the Roku app uses the Wi-Fi network to communicate with the Roku device. If the mobile device is not on the same network, it will not be able to connect to the Roku device.

For more information about how to properly install the Roku mobile app, visit our Support page here: How to install the Roku mobile app | Roku.

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@galvinpaul1718 wrote:

Why am I only given the option to connect to Roku over my network? I am able to watch Roku on my iPhone.

The Roku app will only connect to a Roku device on a private network. Virtually all public networks have filters that block connected devices from seeing other connected devices. This is a security feature, and one you would never want to disable (even if you could). Many public networks also use an IP address range that is not considered "private" and even if that security feature was turned off the Roku app still wouldn't see your Roku.

There's only one reliable way to access your Roku from an iPad or phone when traveling, and that would be to set up your own private network that can then access the hotel network for Internet access. I did this when I was staying in a hotel for a long term job detail. Mine used a Windows PC to connect to the hotel's WiFi, and then share that Internet connection using the Ethernet port on the computer. I connected a router set to Wireless Access Point mode to the PC, and the router provided both wired and WiFi connections for my various devices. And yes I could access my Roku through my phone doing this. It's a bit complicated to set up, and might be beyond the expertise of many travelers. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @galvinpaul1718

Thanks for the post.

Can you verify which Roku mobile app you are using? In addition, have you made sure that the mobile device you are accessing the Roku mobile app is on the same wireless network as your Roku device?

It is important to ensure that the mobile device you are using to access the Roku mobile app is on the same wireless network as your Roku device. This is because the Roku app uses the Wi-Fi network to communicate with the Roku device. If the mobile device is not on the same network, it will not be able to connect to the Roku device.

For more information about how to properly install the Roku mobile app, visit our Support page here: How to install the Roku mobile app | Roku.

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@galvinpaul1718 wrote:

The Roku app will only connect to a Roku device on a private network. Virtually all public networks have filters that block connected devices from seeing other connected devices. This is a security feature, and one you would never want to disable (even if you could). Many public networks also use an IP address range that is not considered "private" and even if that security feature was turned off the Roku app still wouldn't see your Roku.

There's only one reliable way to access your Roku from an iPad or phone when traveling, and that would be to set up your own private network that can then access the hotel network for Internet access. I did this when I was staying in a hotel for a long term job detail. Mine used a Windows PC to connect to the hotel's WiFi, and then share that Internet connection using the Ethernet port on the computer. I connected a router set to Wireless Access Point mode to the PC, and the router provided both wired and WiFi connections for my various devices. And yes I could access my Roku through my phone doing this. It's a bit complicated to set up, and might be beyond the expertise of many travelers. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos