Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Terabyteman
Reel Rookie

Roku iOS app causing an excessive battery drain

Since up updated  Roku app to Version 9.8.0 on 10-3-23 on my iPhone running iOS 16.7 this app is draining the battery and causing the phone to get really hot when using Roku app as Roku remote control mode.

I end up having to fully close Roku app to get phone to cool. 

Phone app Version 9.8.0 Needs to be fixed !!!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku iOS app causing an excessive battery drain

Hi @Terabyteman,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem with the Roku mobile app that is causing an excessive battery drain. We'd like to know more about it so we can further assist you. May we ask if you are using private listening on the Roku mobile app? Have you tried uninstalling the Roku mobile app and reinstalling it to see if the issue occurs?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
sherwin
Reel Rookie

This is happening to me on an iPhone 15 Pro Max since the update to iOS 17.1.1 in private listening mode (with Airpods Pro). It drains around 30% of the battery per hour. Previously, it was just a couple percent.

I'm using what it says is the latest app version - 9.9.0.8757707.44 with a TCL Roku TV model G103X.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Welcome, and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @sherwin!

We acknowledge your concern regarding the draining issues with your smartphone when using the Roku Mobile app. No worries. We'd be more than happy to assist you with this. 

Would you mind providing us with a video or screenshot as evidence so we can assess your concern better? Also, a screenshot of the Battery usage of your iPhone 15 pro max under Settings > Battery > scroll down to show how much battery percentage you are using and select Show activity. 

We'll be anticipating your response as we are more than eager to investigate this further.

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
sherwin
Reel Rookie

I'm not sure what you mean by "Would you mind providing us with a video or screenshot as evidence so we can assess your concern better?" so I did a screenshot of the app in use.

Here are links to that screenshot and the battery use screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/beacuxe583p2cvvndityr/IMG_6578.PNG?rlkey=9k8e59wqyrbr9rfnwhn22s35r&dl... 

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/u13xkcsvml7g4zhdoyjph/IMG_6577.PNG?rlkey=oqa9nd5x06hb6ey4qccvjpcrw&dl... 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you, @sherwin!

We appreciate you for providing us with a photo as a reference. 
We'll request additional reinforcement from the appropriate Roku team to further investigate this matter. Kindly provide us with the "Show Activity" category by selecting that option to fully show us the data. 

We'll be looking forward to your response!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
sherwin
Reel Rookie

This hasn't been happening consistently. Right now, I can't tie it to anything else.

Maybe the last iOS update fixed this.

If it happens again, I'll do the screenshots and post them here.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.