Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CarolB77

Roku app has too many ads

when using the ruko phone apps is crazy and way too many ads on there like why pay just to use the apps for a remote is too much . what is the use of buying a ruko tv and downloading the apps when we have to pay for it I think that it is dumb and stupid

5 REPLIES 5
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Roku app has too many ads

I've never seen an ad in the Roku app. Are you certain you downloaded the official app from Roku? I know at least in the Apple app store there's a number of apps that claim to be for controlling a Roku but they do have ads in them unless you pay money. 

EDIT: yep, I just opened the app on my phone and there's no advertisements. There certainly are a number of suggested things to watch, but those aren't "ads". 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
renojim

Roku app has too many ads?

@CarolB77, it's pretty clear you have a 3rd party app.  The official Roku mobile app is free.

Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android™ | Roku

I am not a Roku employee.

Re: Roku app has too many ads

Never had it before like the others said. Now even the remote screen has “My Roku” intrusive slide up complete with “best puzzle game ever “ ads. Looks like it’s the slow rollout approach.

Looks like it time start looking for alternatives. 

0 Kudos

Look again now.

0 Kudos
atc98092

I just opened the Roku app. There's a small ad that's mid-screen on the home page, and other than a "sponsored" MAX ad that you have to scroll down to even know it's there, there's no other ads on the home page. There's no ads on the Search, Devices, or Account page. Yes, there's a small "My Roku" at the bottom of the remote screen. But unless you swipe it up it shows nothing. I don't consider that "intrusive" at all and can easily ignore it. It doesn't impact the function of the remote buttons at all. 

I don't consider the ads excessive or intrusive at all. People can certainly feel differently. But compared to what I see on so many web sites and even phone apps, this is next to nothing.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.