Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
demsd
Roku Guru

Roku Android App Not Working Properly

So, I was watching TV last night using the Roku Android App for my headphones when suddenly the volume stopped working. When I looked at the app, the main screen was gone, and all that worked was the remote and devices screens. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, but that didn't help.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Android App Not Working Properly

Hi @demsd

Thanks for your post. 

We're here to help. What Roku device do you have? For troubleshooting purposes, could you try installing the Roku mobile app on another mobile device and see if there's any difference? 

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
demsd
Roku Guru

It's a Samsung Galaxy J3-Achieve.What happened is I was using it and the sound cut out. When I looked, this is what I saw:

cC7vhJ9.jpg

I can still use it as a remote. It is also working on another device.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@demsd 

Try clearing both the cache and the data under the Apps Settings on the Android (settings/apps/Roku mobile app) for the Roku mobile app before uninstalling the Roku mobile app. (May have to do a force close on the app as well under this setting).  After uninstalling, restart phone and then reinstall Roku mobile app.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
demsd
Roku Guru

Thanks.

I forced stopped the app and cleared cache and date, then uninstalled. I install apps on SD, so I manually deleted the com folder, restarted, reinstalled and it's still the same. It's like most of the features are missing from the app. There is no option to login either.

The only reason I use it on this phone is I don't want to have to continuously charge my main phone. So I use this phone as an alarm, and for private TV listening at night. I guess if I need to I can use the TV remote as well. It's just inconvenient to have two use both.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@demsd 

Just to rule out a SD card issue, have you tried installing the Roku mobile app directly to the internal storage of your mobile device?

I would also try performing a network connection reset both on the Android device (Settings/More/Network Settings Reset), and the RokuTV (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection).  This may help to sync everything back up.  I probably would just throw in a router reboot as well for good measure.

I have seen a few different postings scattered throughout the forum regarding private listening crashes and Samsung phones, but nothing that is mirroring the details of your issue. (especially with some of the app features missing from the screens as indicated in your screenshot.)  Almost looks like a corrupted app that is stuck in memory or cache somewhere. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
demsd
Roku Guru

When I reinstalled the app, I never moved it to the SD card. So that isn't the issue. Besides, other apps installed on the SD work fine. Also, the issue happened while I was using the app.

As the screenshot shows, it is synced with the TV, and the remote part of the app works. It's just that the Home and Roku Channel buttons aren't there.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @demsd

Thank you for the post.

If you're experiencing issues with the Roku Android app where certain buttons, such as the Home and Roku Channel buttons, are missing or not functioning properly, you can try the following troubleshooting steps:

• Clear app cache: Start by clearing the cache of the Roku app on your Android device. To do this, go to the Settings menu on your device, select Apps or Application Manager, locate the Roku app from the list of installed apps, and then choose the option to clear the cache. This can help resolve any temporary data or configuration issues.
  • Update the Roku app: Ensure that you have the latest version of the Roku app installed on your Android device. Visit the Google Play Store, search for the Roku app, and check if there are any available updates. If an update is available, install it and see if the issue persists.
  • Restart your Android device: Sometimes, restarting your Android device can help resolve app-related issues. 
  • Restart your Roku: We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos