Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ralph11
Reel Rookie

Connect/Manage Roku Remotely

Jump to solution

I purchase Roku Express 4K+ and Alexa Echo Show 8 for my Elderly Disabled Mother, she's bed bound and cannot use the remote + starting to learn to use Alexa but not sure if she ever will be able to fully learn due to her health.

I installed Roku + Alexa and installed the Roku app in my Cell + her Echo Show (at her house), when I connected both and make sure it have her Spanish apps and TV's stuff, my cell did register her Roku (and in Alexa) but as soon I arrived to my house (do not live with her), I'm no longer able to connect to her Roku Express 4k+, it fails to connect then it keeps asking me to select an IP Address and Mac Address (I can get it later) if I want to "attempt" to connect remotely, even though I saved the IP Address when I was at her house.

Echo Show does have and confirmed her Roku from my cell and Alexa app, so at least I can Turn on or off, up or lower the TV Volume but that's it... it ends there, everything else like play TV, it states it will do but nothing happens, so I rather use the Roku app directly, for any instructions

I had attempted numerous times to use the Roku app but seems impossible to be able to make it do anything, I need a way to start playing any TV Channels or her Soap Operas, when She needs to. Most times Roku stop playing after few hrs and no way to change this, all TV also have this... So I must be able to help my Mom by hit start playing again or if she gets tired watching the same thing and want to change the channel or play something else

I'm willing to gather any info needed (IP/Mac Address) but need detailed info how to connect her Roku (it reads the correct account but won't do anything) and be able to mange so she be OK and able to enjoy what ever she wants to watch...etc.

PS: 85 Yr Disabled Elder + I am the one who Purchase the Roku and register to my Email

Alexa app can do some to manage Roku but Roku app Not, something it's wrong here

I can plug and install few apps here and there but I'm not a coder or similar.

Need help please

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connect/Manage Roku Remotely

Jump to solution

Sorry, but Roku devices are not designed for remote controllability. As mentioned, the Roku remote app requires the phone and the Roku to be on the same private network. And unfortunately there are no other streaming players that offer remote functionality either. Roku no longer offers a Windows application to control a Roku either, so you couldn't even set up a basic computer with remote access. 

Assuming your mother is in some sort of care facility, the odds of them allowing you to remote into their network is next to zero, as that would possibly introduce a serious security hole in their firewall. When I was a network admin for a large medical center, we did not permit any external connections through our firewall that were not employee devices. With HIPPA privacy laws, they simply can't permit it. 

And I completely disagree that "every "smart" equipment can be connected remotely". My home is filled with "smart" devices, and I can only access a handful of them from outside my home network.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Ralph11

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for reaching out to us. Kindly be advised that when using the Roku mobile app as a remote, the mobile device and Roku streaming device should be connected to the same network. Additionally, you may refer to this support article on How to use Amazon Alexa to control your Roku streaming device

If you have further questions or concerns, please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ralph11
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuTakashi 

That link does not answer my question/request and the KB you provide me, it's extremely vague. Nowadays, every "smart" equipment can be connected remotely. I purchase the Roku to make my elderly Mother life easier not harder.

Again, I can get any requested information to connect and willing to pay for a service if needed but I must be able to connect from my cell or PC remotely to help her change channels or start her applications and enjoy her TV programs, it is a very basic request.

Also, I purchase the Roku and it is register to my name, difficult to understand why I cannot manage my own equipment

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Sorry, but Roku devices are not designed for remote controllability. As mentioned, the Roku remote app requires the phone and the Roku to be on the same private network. And unfortunately there are no other streaming players that offer remote functionality either. Roku no longer offers a Windows application to control a Roku either, so you couldn't even set up a basic computer with remote access. 

Assuming your mother is in some sort of care facility, the odds of them allowing you to remote into their network is next to zero, as that would possibly introduce a serious security hole in their firewall. When I was a network admin for a large medical center, we did not permit any external connections through our firewall that were not employee devices. With HIPPA privacy laws, they simply can't permit it. 

And I completely disagree that "every "smart" equipment can be connected remotely". My home is filled with "smart" devices, and I can only access a handful of them from outside my home network.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.