Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App makes my phone hot - Roku channel mobile watching overheats phone.

Was using the Roku channel app (to watch a show on mobile) — the app itself makes it SO hot. When I switched over to Plex and it opened Roku via a webpage — it doesn’t get hot. It is very much the app. (iPhone 2020 se). It gets so hot that it almost burns my skin. I wasn’t charging my battery or anything at that time. 

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: App makes my phone hot - Roku channel mobile watching overheats phone.

Hi @Ashinchains,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about your experience with the Roku mobile app when watching shows on The Roku Channel, which caused your mobile device to overheat.

Please note that we've passed your concerns to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation, but we need more details.

In the meantime, can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Brand, model, and current OS that the mobile device is running
  • The version of the Roku mobile app that your mobile device is using
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
  • Are you encountering any error codes or messages?
  • What specific troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue?

We look forward to hearing your response and receiving your device details.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
pghkatrina
Channel Surfer

I'm going to jump in here. Having similar problem. I'm using the Roku app for the remote while watching Prime Video on my Roku Ultra and my iPhone is overheating to the point that there is an alert on it that "charging will resume when iPhone returns to normal temperature".

Its the only app running and I'm just using the remote to mute ads, so clearly something is wrong

This is not affecting the Roku so I don't know why you would need the device ID number for it? 🤔 (I'm also not 🚫 going to make my serial number and device ID public 😬 Privacy & security)

This is overheating the iPhone 📱 so I will supply the details surrounding the iPhone I have, the iOS running on it, the model of Roku and OS for it

iPhone 14
iOS 17.6 1

Roku Ultra 4660RW
Software version 13.1.4.1512

Streaming Prime Video on Roku Ultra
Using Roku App on iPhone as remote to mute ads (tap headphone button when commercials are running to silence TV, have sound on phone turned down so nothing is heard)

Message shows on iPhone about overheating
Doesn't matter if I'm plugged in to charge or not, the phone is hot 🔥 to the touch
On my 5G wifi and no other apps are running
The app is causing the iPhone to overheat

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @pghkatrina,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention regarding your experience with the Roku mobile app overheating on your iPhone.

Please be aware that we have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

In the meantime, can you please provide the version of the Roku mobile app?

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Roku mobile app and restarting your Roku device by navigating to Settings > System > Power > System restart to see if it helps?

Your assistance is much appreciated so we can resolve the issue as soon as possible.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
pghkatrina
Channel Surfer

I keep my iPhone current so whatever the latest version of the app is. 🙄 

I always love how developers want us to reinstall an app that’s failing on their end. The Roku app causes my phone to overheat. What’s hard about this? I’m not reinstalling something that isn’t working. 

And I restart my Roku daily. What is that going to do with my phone overheating when using your app?! 

None of this is helpful. I posted this a week ago and am just getting a reply… not great here guys. 

Can we try actually addressing the issue? 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, @pghkatrina.

We apologize for the inconvenience. We value your business and assure you that we are committed to promptly and efficiently addressing your concerns.

We want to resolve this as soon as possible, but the appropriate Roku team needs more details to investigate further. Also, we suggest some troubleshooting steps to see if it helps.

In the meantime, please provide the version of Roku's mobile app installed on your phone for the additional details the relevant team needs.

Lastly, could you confirm if there are any changes by doing the steps provided above?

We're hoping for your patience and understanding as we work on the issue. This thread will provide an update on further developments in the investigation.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.