Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Metsfan616

Re: All apps' audio is skipping and choppy with Private Listening

I am currently dealing with this problem as well, the audio has skipped about 13 times through my hour long show watch. I updated the app and the error is still occurring. 

using a Westinghouse WR58UX4019 with Roku included

Roku app software version 10.2.1.13047499.6

iPhone 12 iOS 16.7.2

0 Kudos
Doggpound007
Binge Watcher

Sorry you are dealing with this.  It's a fully known and reproduceable issue that Roku has not done anything about.  I sucked it up and went with the soundbar a much more expensive unit which does fix the issue completely.  I did not get any refund or anything from Roku yet.

0 Kudos
schufflz
Reel Rookie

Known issue. Roku not bothered. Standard response is to blame your wi-fi even though it can stream 4k video without breaking a sweat. Wouldn't buy another Roku product after this experience. It's not fit for purpose. Constant skipping in private listening - and this is the feature I bought it for. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @schufflz,

We're really sorry about the trouble with private listening. We understand that this is affecting a couple of users. Besides the info you've already shared, we'd like to know which specific channels you're trying to access where you run into this problem. Also, have you tried different Bluetooth headphones to see if they have the same issue?

Please keep us posted!

Regards,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KingdomLiving
Reel Rookie

The main one is YouTube. That's the one my husband uses most.  However it happens on Roku shows, prime, Disney and Netflix. (haven't tested on others) 

We have multiple headsets we have tried, but it also did it if it was just coming out of your phone, and not pushed to a Bluetooth, although it was not NEARLY as bad or as often.

We ended up buying a new Roku TV this month because of this specific issue. My husband is disabled and spends the bulk of the day watching TV, and was getting VERY frustrated not being able to hear his shows, while being kind and using a headset so I could watch something on my phone. 

(we have 3 different Roku devices we tried prior to buying the TV, all have the exact same issue.)

0 Kudos
schufflz
Reel Rookie

"A couple" of users? How absolutely insulting. The issue has been clearly iterated by a number of people and it's obviously your device that's at fault. Fix it or lose customers. I don't have the time or inclination to do unpaid research for you. 

0 Kudos
Kheerema
Reel Rookie

I am having this same issue on a TCL 6 series Roku TV (not a cheap TV) and have had this issue for some time.  Watching the TV but using headphones connected to the Roku app on my Pixel 8 Pro causes constant disconnects/reconnects/drops of the audio. The app and Roku O/S are all up to date.  Tried different BT headphones (no luck).  Each time the audio disconnects watching Netflix, causes Netflix to pause and reload (circle of death) and then video content resumes play which basically makes watching Netflix with headphones unbearable and pretty much impossible.  Like listening to a random skipping CD!!  Distance to TV is less than 10' and phone wifi is not the issue as the listening position is line of sight to the nearest access point.  TV itself is hardwired cat6 to the switch so the issue is not that either. I have gigabit fiber service! Frustrated...

0 Kudos
RokuReynan-L
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Kheerema.

Thank you for joining us here in the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having an issue with the private listening. No worries, we're here to help.

To start, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app? If so, try turning off the notifications when using the Roku app. This may be why it affects the performance of private listening.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Reynan

Reynan L.
Roku Community Moderator
Kheerema
Reel Rookie

I uninstalled and reinstalled the mobile app.  I am still getting cut outs on the private listening, and the audio is toggling for a second between the TV audio and then back to private listening.  This is so annoying as you can't really use private listening at all!!!!!!!!!

I have turned phone notifications off and that has had zero affect on this issue.  This issue is completely unresolved.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.