Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neverku
Channel Surfer

Re: Private Listening keeps disconnecting

Jump to solution

Or, Roku can develop an application that’s able to stream audio on today’s technology, without having to be an exact distance from the wifi router, holding the mobile device approximately 2ft above your head, while standing on one leg. 

kelito
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Danny,

Here are my troubleshooting issues. 

1.  I power on the ROKU TV (Phillips 32").

2. I power on the app on my iPhone (SE build 14.2)

a. I cannot find the device.

2a. The device (ROKU TV) and phone are both on the same network.

2b. The device (ROKU TV) and phone and wireless router are 10 feet apart with no barriers whatsover.

3. I cannot active private listening.

3a. It did work 1 time for the duration of my watching TV but never again.  Cuts out like a bad AM radio station.

4. I added the ipad remote for ROKU.  the same as the iphone.  Worked once then went bad.  Cutting out.

On my Spectrum wireless router/cable modem I cannot change the channel per other instructions.

Finally, I am partially deaf so listening on my bluetooth headphones (no jack needed - update your troubleshooting steps as I saw that in there) is desirable.  Plus the sound is way better especially for movies.

I have done the reset modem thing.  It worked ONCE. (It's a Technicolor Modem/Wireless Router

This seems to be a pattern.  Work once then obliterate your private listening experience.

I am a technical person as I was on wireless in 2002.  Yes, 2002 my home I owned had it.  I know my way around a router.

Kindly let me know if there are other steps to do that will work more than once.  I have given you enough test data (I was a computer programmer for 25 years) in which to troubleshoot the problem in your lab.

Also, this ROKU TV does not have a headphone jack (2.5 mm or 3.5) else I'd use my bluetooth adapter to get the sound I so richly deserve.

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The symptoms you describe sound like your devices are on different networks.  Are you absolutely sure you don't have a separate 'guest' network on your wifi router that one of them is using? Or that your phone is not on cell data or a neighbor's wifi?   If they don't find each other automatically, you can try checking the TV's IP address and making a manual connection from the phone app.

0 Kudos
kelito
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am on the same network.  Not a neighbors.  I have logged on to my router and I know the pwds for my guest network and my own network.  This is NOT my first rodeo.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

What happens when you tell the app to connect to the IP address of the TV?  Do you have a 3rd device like a computer that would be able to ping both the TV and phone's address?  There is clearly something wrong with your network setup, especially if you were ever able to connect and can't now.

0 Kudos
Neverku
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It could also be your tinfoil hat, but no way it could be that the Roku app is poorly designed. 

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Neverku wrote:

It could also be your tinfoil hat, but no way it could be that the Roku app is poorly designed. 

Well, not unless you have a different version of the app than the copy that is working OK on my network.

0 Kudos
kelito
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I can connect it's just one of the many issues with this Roku remote app.

My workaround to get private listening is a bluetooth adapter that plugs into my TV's USB port.  The stupid ROKU remote is truly a POS and I'll post that.  It truly is one of the worst apps I've ever used.  I can change channels.  I cannot even watch the channels I've added to the TV, without the TV.

what a waste of a forum with no real expertise or empathy from the creators.

yes I need a tin foil hat to make this work.

0 Kudos
Neverku
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Congrats. You seem to have one of the few setups that’s working with this app. Maybe we should all just copy your setup?

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Neverku wrote:

Congrats. You seem to have one of the few setups that’s working with this app. Maybe we should all just copy your setup?

It's all up to your wifi network.  And needs a lot of bandwidth to do what is necessary.

0 Kudos