Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Videos Won't Play

I have added videos to the json file when I click on the video it says retrieving file for 1 second then goes back into the app and does not play the video and gives no error.
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Videos Won't Play

If your feed file was ingested without errors, your problem is probably related to access permissions on your server. If you use Amazon S3, you can use their logging feature to determine the problem.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos

I fixed the issue I changed video files from mp4 to m4v and it plays no problem now.
0 Kudos
tomjoht
Visitor

I think I'm having this same problem. I'll try converting my mp4 videos to m4v.
0 Kudos
tomjoht
Visitor

Yep, changing to m4v worked! Thanks. Anyone know why MP4 videos won't play?
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

I had no problem adding mp4 videos to my json until today. Will try to change it over to m4v.

What program did you use to convert from mp4 to m4v?
http://www.victoryNOWfilmsandtv.com
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

As a test, today, I uploaded an mp4 video to my Amazon S3 storage.  The video played correctly on my test channel.  However, I think I may know what is causing the problems reported here.  My video content providers use YouTube to share their videos.  They've given me permission to download their videos and show them on my channel.  Before I can load them to Amazon, I "re-code" them using Nero.  It is my speculation that if you use a video source, like YouTube, that does not allow direct streaming from their site (their TOS does not allow it) to the Roku, you'll run into these types of problems.  If you use Amazon S3 for your video server, you should be able to turn on logging and see the actual cause of the video not playing.  I'm guessing that those who have converted their videos from mp4 to m4v are "re-coding" as I am.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

Late last night I was able to get my mp4 video to play. I didn't have to change it to m4v. I had made a mistake on my end yesterday when I went to upload the video from the file that had not been converted yet. 
http://www.victoryNOWfilmsandtv.com
0 Kudos
tomjoht
Visitor

Ahh, I think you might be right about the coding issue from Youtube. I initially had the videos on Youtube but downloaded them from Youtube to my local machine. Do you think Youtube adds some kind of encoding that makes it problematic to play the videos on another platform? I'll try recoding them. When I converted from mp4 to m4v, I just used http://www.convertfiles.com/. The videos are all really short, so it wasn't a huge hassle. I'll use the same tool to convert the m4v's back to mp4 and see if it fixes the issue.
0 Kudos
tomjoht
Visitor

you were right! i converted my videos to mp4 with that same little online converter, updated my feed and channel, and now everything plays! thanks a bunch.