Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
freetochoose
Streaming Star

Test channel won't show up in channel list

Jump to solution

I'm working on creating a new channel for my company. I started working on a feed and want to see how it looks before moving forward. I have all purple checks next to the Publish Your Channel checklist. My json file has been validated. I don't want to publish until I know it will look the way I want. When I click on the link to add the channel to my Roku, I get the WARNING! THIS IS A NON-CERTIFIED CHANNEL...... I hit OK then Yes, add this channel.... Then I get this:

Channels typically will show up within 24 hours. To access your new channel now, you can refresh your channels on your home screen by visiting Settings > System > System Update > Check Now or Settings > Player info on older models. Channels that have hardware requirements or minimum firmware requirements will not be displayed on Roku players that do not meet those requirements.

I go on my Roku and follow instructions, but nothing happens. The channel never gets added to my list. I have tried this multiple times over the past week. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Test channel won't show up in channel list

Jump to solution

@freetochooseThe model you quoted is pretty old and is probably no longer supported.  I would guess that the last firmware installed on it cannot support the latest Roku framework.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Its been a while since I did the demo install, just curious, what kind of Roku device do you have?  Just making sure its fairly new & not the USB stick kind.

Also, did you get to Step 8 of this area:  https://developer.roku.com/publish/channel-tutorial  ?  It says you can Preview it on your device, and possibly allow others to. I've done it for others before, not sure if they were DP or SDK channels. Are you able to post that link or channel code & one of us could assist.

0 Kudos
freetochoose
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have the 3100x Roku 2 XS model

And yes, that's the link I described clicking on. It said the channel should appear instantly but could take up to 24 hours. I tried this a few times last week and a couple times this week. Channel still hasn't appeared in my list

0 Kudos
freetochoose
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

here is the link if anyone has a chance to check it for me

https://my.roku.com/add/RR9PKH

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@freetochooseThe model you quoted is pretty old and is probably no longer supported.  I would guess that the last firmware installed on it cannot support the latest Roku framework.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Wow, yeah. Amazon reviews go back to 2011 on it. Definitely need a new model. I'll try adding it later today.

freetochoose
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

going to pick up a new device tonight and will let you know if that fixes the issue. Thanks for the input guys

0 Kudos
mosafer
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Your channel is working here perfectly. (I get 2 videos and assume that's all of your testing videos)

37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Sorry for knockin ya on the older device. It's likely the cause. I had one of them until about 2 years ago, once I got a new one I never looked back. For the $50 or whatever its worth it anyway, faster load speeds, better channel interaction etc. Worthy investment regardless..

Just helping troubleshoot

freetochoose
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@37mediagroup wrote:

Sorry for knockin ya on the older device. It's likely the cause. I had one of them until about 2 years ago, once I got a new one I never looked back. For the $50 or whatever its worth it anyway, faster load speeds, better channel interaction etc. Worthy investment regardless..

Just helping troubleshoot

it's ok. I didn't realize how old it was lol. I set up my new device this morning and it is working great so far. Everything seems to be a lot faster. Device not being supported anymore seems to be the issue I was having. Also loving these load speeds too! Thanks guys!