Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
casbboy
Visitor

Sub Category on bottom of home?

I have a number of playlists that show like: Top, Coming Soon, Out Now. And under each is a list of image thumbnails with titles to play a video. They are linked to each category like so:

}},

So the "topfilms" tag gets it placed in Top. The home is now using a lot of bandwidth loading all the hi res thumbnails, so was seeing if possible to create a sub category under neath the three main, that opens another set of categorized tags as it were.

These are shortformvideos.

Possible to do with Direct Publisher?

Cheers!
Ryan
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Sub Category on bottom of home?

Can you possibly model this with a series of episodes?
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
casbboy
Visitor

Not sure what you mean? Is there a demo?
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Can you accomplish what you want by defining a 'series' object with a bunch of 'episodes'?
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
casbboy
Visitor

Are you allowed to have two different, such as shortFormVideos and Series in the same feed? I like the way it lists everything out on my primary content, just want to include a sub content as well.
0 Kudos
casbboy
Visitor

Also, you have link to a demo of series RSS? It has a few more requirements than short form, like episode and series Id, and not sure how to add it all.

My assumption is that once I run through "shortFormVideos": [],

I do
, "series":[]

And can I just do the episode object at this point or need to do parent series info?

A working demo would probably alleviate the confusion.
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Your feed file can contain any combination of supported feed objects (eg. Short form video, movies, series, etc.). The manner in which you compose them is up to you.
0 Kudos
casbboy
Visitor

I'm getting two errors:

","quality":"UHD","videoType":"HLS"}]}},

Series seasons and episodes missing. Only one must be included.

Required series genres is missing or invalid.

So not sure what I'm leaving off. Just did series straight to "episodes"
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

At this point, I think it would benefit you to read the JSON spec to get a better understanding. The spec does contain some samples of feed objects. You should also consider not coding your feed manually.
0 Kudos
casbboy
Visitor

I got it working. Just had to add a few variables beforehand (which aren't required in shortformvideos)

But, not seeing any changes to my channel through Roku. I've done system update and refreshed the feed.
0 Kudos