Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newchannel
Roku Guru

Okay to have one category?

Is it okay to have a channel with one category that uses DP? ( no play button, just graphic that opens directly to a live stream.) I believe for sdk there are special screens required.

Thanks.
http://www.victoryNOWfilmsandtv.com
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: Okay to have one category?

i don't think it will autoplay the livestream, but I think it's ok to have 1 category 1 video. I think I began my testing with just 1 show. In otherwords, they'll still land on the channel and see the list of shows (ie. 1 single livestream show). It'll be the thumbnail screen of it, which they'll have to click to begin the livestream.

I can't see how there'd be a workaround to the template.
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

"37mediagroup" wrote:
  i don't think it will autoplay the livestream, but I think it's ok to have 1 category 1 video. I think I began my testing with just 1 show. In otherwords, they'll still land on the channel and see the list of shows (ie. 1 single livestream show). It'll be the thumbnail screen of it, which they'll have to click to begin the livestream.

I can't see how there'd be a workaround to the template.

Ok, thank you. I was able to get my hls stream to open and play from the category and have that part working.
To find a way to monetize it is a whole other thing. Too bad there isn't a subscription option for DP. Takes 1,000's of viewers to monetize with ads. 
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Right. For livestream I'd think you might need to work with a livestreaming provider to see how to incorporate ads, I'm not sure ad agencies can insert ad breaks live. I'm not sure it would be done on the Roku platform level.

I agree about monetization being low. IMHO channels would drastically reduce their installs & viewer #'s if they charged a monthly fee. Even something like $.99 cents people wouldn't want to open their wallet, give their cc, etc.

Just curious though, you do have a livestream program working?  Care to say who the stream is thru (Livestream, DaCast, Wowza) and/or who format (HLS?). Wasn't fully sure it worked with DP, awesome to know it does.
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

Using this VideoExample (looking to see where I downloaded it from. Think it was on github) Just go into the components and on the videoscene.xml  change the media type to hls and add an hls link. It plays a live stream perfectly. I'm going to be using this sample to migrate a couple of my sdk subscription channels to scenegraph. I was also able to play an m3u playlist but for some reason it sometimes won't play all of the videos in the list. Not sure if its an encoding problem or not. And, I don't know how to make a playlist loop or how to have it resume where the person left off playing it so working on a backup way.  If I could find this information to make it resume and loop and find problem why not all videos play, then I'd be another step ahead finally. Such a learning curve for sdk.

I hope I am correct saying live channels do not require deep linking. Don't know if all channels require the integration of the ads RAF or not. I posted in the other forum to try and find out. 
0 Kudos