Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
genepensiero
Roku Guru

Category Titles Above Videos

On Roku's example image, it shows the categories of videos having a title above:

[img=758x426]https://blog.roku.com/developer/files/2016/09/channetv.png[/img]

Specifically you can see "goofy movies" there at the bottom.

However, on my channel there are no such titles. So everything looks like a big pile of thumbnails.

Anybody know what I need to add into my .json to get those on there?

thanks
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: Category Titles Above Videos

It is showing on mine. Although, I think I remember early on checking in and they weren't. Maybe they need to download and cache the first time.  I did have them on my json feed, but it seemed in the checklist I needed to manually use the Categories entry instead. Did you encounter that?  Wondering if I did something wrong but in the end it worked, just had to associate via tags. Would prefer to have more manual control over it via the json file. 
0 Kudos
genepensiero
Roku Guru

Thanks for the reply Pasnow.

I have mine set to manual categories as well and am associating via tags. No luck so far.

Has anyone found a way to put the Category titles in the JSON code itself?
0 Kudos
genepensiero
Roku Guru

Ok so I discovered today when I happened to look at my screen at a weird angle that the category titles ARE written above the videos, but the font color is almost white.

Anyone know how to adjust this?

thanks
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

In your developer Dashboard there's a "Branding" section in the checklist. If you click in there it seems there's options for "Background Color" and "Font Color:  Light/dark".  Changing either of those two should get it changed.  Just be aware because this is in the checklist it'll likely need to be resubmitted and go back thru the queue.
0 Kudos
genepensiero
Roku Guru

thanks Pasnow for your reply.

i did check that section...it was already set to have text show as 'dark'. so i'm tweaking the settings on that page a bit to see if i can get my text showing. i'll see if it works when they approve the update.
0 Kudos
mitchstein
Roku Guru

I found that they only seem to showup if you select a light background and dark text, anything else doesn't seem to show them, even when I set it to dark barkground and light txt, they do not show up.. Only light background and dark text made it work right.. Someone told me that it does work properly though but only on thier 4K TV, on a 1080p and 720p tvs it does not..
http://www.TVByDemand.com
0 Kudos
Jonathansafa
Visitor

Currently having this same issue... 
Categories display dark in preview, but on device show very light against a light background... almost impossible to see.
Any fix? 
0 Kudos
genepensiero
Roku Guru

We ended up having too many problems with direct publisher.

HLS feed category would sometimes just disappear on us. Couldn't get the colors to update. Didn't like having everything dumped in one json file.

In the end, we rebuilt the channel with the new SDK. 
0 Kudos
apsrmusic
Visitor

Hey not sure this is the right forum for this? but my catagories hangs up in my channel editing page? It ALWAYS stays red no matter what i do.. heres the screenshot

what do i need to do? this prevents me from publishing my channel when finished editing! and when i try to add a catagory it alwasy reads invalid no matter what options or boxes i check?
0 Kudos