That's right...the test channel I use to proof my json feed is now affected by some Roku bug I have read others comment on. Previously, I was able to make updates to my test channel regularly. In the past few days, I've tried to update my test channel. Everything I've tried:
has not resulted in an updated channel. Each time I've updated the feed file, it passes and is ingested through the developer portal without issues. I've tried renaming the feed file name to insure that caching is not an issue.
If you've experienced a problem updating a test channel, I'd like to hear from you. Were you able to determine what is causing the problem?
UPDATE: I took the nuclear option and created a second Test (Unpublished) channel. I renamed the original test channel feed file and uploaded it. I then used the new renamed feed file in my second unpublished channel. The channel starts up and briefly shows the location of where video items would display. It then immediately clears and all I see is a Search (Spyglass) button. Noting else shows in the channel.
Since the feed was copied from my original feed file used for the first unpublished channel, and, since that channel still displays correctly (even though I cannot update it), I'm left with the conclusion that there's a defect in the Roku framework that handles unpublished channels.
Coincidently, I believe that the use of the Search (Spyglass) button is new with the latest firmware update.
Do you use "The rest of the World" as your region? If you are located in the US just change it to the US.
I heard this problem from one of my viewers from another country. I contacted the Help Desk and They said they are no longer supporting "the rest of the World" region.
I will PM you my viewer's video.
I do not use Rest of the World. I have both test (unpublished) channels set to US.
I was able to convince Partner Success to look into this problem. Prior to this problem, I was able to update my test (unpublished) channel by updating my feed file and renaming it so that it would be ingested immediately. This always worked. It appears now from the following reply, that test (unpublished) channels are now subject to the same channel update procedures.
"We expect the 6+ hour mark if you do not perform a system update (or remove the channels and re-add them by code) because 6-8 hours is the ingestion time for the whole Direct Publisher system."
If the above is accurate, it now means that testing a channel will slow down the whole channel maintenance procedure. For example, you'll now have to wait upwards of 6+ hours to see if a change you've made in your feed file worked the way you wanted it to. This is not conducive to an effective work flow.
Just curious, and maybe this isn't ideal, but by them saying "if you do not perform a system update " does that mean you can go into your Roku devices menu Settings > System > System Update (or something like that) to force it to update?
Yes, that may be correct. I can't verify it though because I have two test channels. One did not update correctly when I tried to perform a system update. The other updated after 6+ hours. I did not try the system update on the second one. It may have to do with the following from Partner Success:
"All channels are undergoing a migration from our old Direct Publisher system without the search icon to the new system with it. It is a rolling migration, so you may see the old version from time to time. I appreciate your feedback on the loading times for your test channels. I will submit your feedback along the proper channels."
I just wish Roku would be more forthcoming with information that affects channel developers. I find it distressing that, at times, we need to guess or rely on other developers for information. Roku needs to do a better job keeping developers informed of changes that may directly affect how a channel is created and/or maintaned.
Hi, I have the same issue with a direct publisher channel with Search and and About icons.
I'm outside the US, not sure if it's relevant.
Any idea how to overcome this issue?
You should contact Roku Partner Success directly.
since the 9.4 update I have two test channels that the videos just disappeared from them to never return, yet they show up fine in the roku portal screen shot and the json file passes and shows both videos.
And one of the same exact videos still displas fine in one of my published channels but not in another..
No consistancy at all.
Also, live feeds on hls which worked perfectly on 9.3 and earlier now stutter everytime hte player goes to load a new .ts file.. it stuttors, it buffers and roku says "your wifi connection is bad" , I have exhausted all tests on the wifi and then even pluged it in cat5 and ran monitors on the network, not a network condition.
My roku 3 throws "video access denied" unauthorized content" when playing commercials from Roku ad network, I have to reboot the roku and its good for like an hour to 6 then happens again.. It also as the thwo roku 4 ultras I have stutters, buffers and throws netowkr errors..
My TCL roku TV just stutters, never buffers and never throws wifi errors like the 4 ultra do.
Since the dawn of roku time, roku has struggled with quality issues in the development of thier products, these problems are just getting worse and more common as they are instituting more requirements on the developers. Kinda funny how demanding they are on quality of videos yet they can't get the quality to hlf of what they demand from us.