Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
priesett
Visitor

Unexpected event type: 20?

I am trying to stream in mp4's from previously recorded shows, and about 5-10 minutes in it starts a rebuffer loop. I'm not yet sure what they've been encoded with or at what framerate, but I can tell you that my connection is fine, and I can play them normally on my PC. In addition, my debug screen looks like this:

showHomeScreen | msg = | index = 0
Unexpected event type: 20
showHomeScreen | msg = | index = 0
Unexpected event type: 20

over and over again. Any clue as to what that might mean? I searched the documentation and didn't see a listing of error codes.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
priesett
Visitor

Re: Unexpected event type: 20?

I have been told by the person doing the encoding that he is using Episode Pro to do so.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

Event type 20 is "StreamStarted". Since you seem to be in a rebuffer loop, every time you start a new buffer you are getting a StreamStarted event.

It is likely there is something peculiar about your encoding. Is it h264 in an mp4 wrapper? Please see the component reference guide section 4.5 for a table of support video encodings.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
priesett
Visitor

Well, then, that explains that 🙂

I'll forward the table to him and see if we can't figure out what's what encoding wise.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
jjinux
Visitor

I'm getting this exact same behavior. I can watch a few minutes of the film, but then it gets into an infinite buffer loop. I'm using HLS and Wowza. Did this ever come to any resolution?
0 Kudos
priesett
Visitor

"jjinux" wrote:
I'm getting this exact same behavior. I can watch a few minutes of the film, but then it gets into an infinite buffer loop. I'm using HLS and Wowza. Did this ever come to any resolution?

Sorry I took so long to respond. In our case it was the encoding that was doing it to us. Once we had the encoding where the box likes it, everything was fine.
0 Kudos