Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbefilms
Visitor

USB - YES!

At last, really looking forward to this coming online (per the dev email); will there be a default app for USB file access on the Roku Player?
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Visitor

Re: USB - YES!

There will be a sample app in the SDK that can be the basis for adding USB functionality to your apps, yes. But we won't be launching a USB app in the channel store at that time.
0 Kudos
scyber
Visitor

FYI,in my email (gmail) the "Read about SRT" text wasn't linked to anything. I'm not sure where that was supposed to be linking too (generic SRT documentation, or roku specific?).
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

Sorry, somehow the links got dropped in the process of sending out the emails. The SRT link was about the format itself: http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs ... s/srt.html

Enabling SRT subtitles is as simple as adding a field in the content metadata that includes a link to the file.
0 Kudos
scyber
Visitor

Can the user enable/disable the display of subtitles during playback, or is it something that has to be set prior to starting the stream?
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

It is a content meta-data parameter that is set prior to playing....

--Kevin
0 Kudos
buaboo
Visitor

Will the USB feature allow me to hook up an external HDD to roku and the put stuff on it from my home pc via ftp or fileshare or something? Almost like a NAS? My assumption is no but I thought I would ask...
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

No.... Our intent was to allow an easy way to play content stored on USB drives. That is the main use we are enabling with this feature. There will not be any ftp or fileshare access to the drive.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
buaboo
Visitor

Thank you for the answer. Is this a technical issue or just not enough time to code this feature? I am assuming Roku understands why this feature would be valuable for us and not having this feature will cause unnecessary headaches...

"RokuKevin" wrote:
No.... Our intent was to allow an easy way to play content stored on USB drives. That is the main use we are enabling with this feature. There will not be any ftp or fileshare access to the drive.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
servo
Visitor

will there be access to network shares?
0 Kudos