Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
retrotom
Visitor

Roku/Brightscript and Unicode

I found an older forum topic in which it was stated that the Roku doesn't support Unicode characters (except for the manifest file). Is there any ETA for when that might make it into the platform? Even a relatively vague answer like "Q2 2011" is more than acceptable -- at least for me 😄 . I can see how this may be a relatively low priority item, but I would really appreciate it if just the XML parser accepted/parsed unicode inputs. The breadth of characters that can't be displayed is staggering when you actually start to dig down into it. Even though I'm using a custom font, relatively "normal" characters like an ellipsis ("..."), "directed" quotation marks, and dashes ("–", "—", "―") can't be presented in the user interface. So in our custom subtitle solution, common characters like the ones mentioned above need to be "replaced". Asian language characters are obviously an issue -- they display as "a" on the screen. We've considered using/generating transparent PNGs on the server side that contain the subtitle text with these characters -- but the lag time, in general, is just too great for this to work properly. Obviously, I'm not aware of the complexity of the changes needed...but if it's as simple as switching from char to wchar_t or something...hopefully this is on your radar. I'm not trying to be negative here -- this is just something I care about a great deal 🙂 .

Thanks,
RT
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: Roku/Brightscript and Unicode

There is no schedule at this time...

--Kevin
0 Kudos
retrotom
Visitor