Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarsDust
Visitor

The big banner on the channel selection screen

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum. I couldn't find anything on this anywhere, but maybe I just missed it?
The big banner on the Roku channel selection screen - is that a spot for sale to public channel developers or is it part of a private deal with larger partners (Netflix, Hulu, etc.)?
Where would I go to talk to someone about this?

Jason Ahlquist
http://www.ahlquistmedialab.com
http://www.marsdust.net
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: The big banner on the channel selection screen

Where would I go to talk to someone about this?

[attempt at humor redacted]
Xx xx xxxxxx :mrgreen: :
99999 Xxxxxxxx Xxx.
Xxxxxxxx, XX 99999

If by email, advertising@roku.com

See also http://www.roku.com/about/contact
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

EDIT: (Please) don't show up at our door (without an appointment).

The advertising program is to pretty much any developer with the $ as is placement in the Featured row (expensive). Email me jbraverman AT roku DOT come with some details and I'll forward you on to the right people. Please be aware these options tend to be fairly expensive, we don't have any options for entry-level developers yet.

- Joel
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Just a ballpark figure? between $1 million and $2 million/month?
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

btw - the green "National Geographic Kids" advertisement has white corners where they rounded the graphic - it doesn't blend in well with any of the background themes on the channel selection screen on Roku3.
I hope they didn't pay too much for that - could be fixed by pushing the rounded corners out to square.
0 Kudos
MarsDust
Visitor

Is that an actual sourced quote or just a guess?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"destruk" wrote:
Just a ballpark figure? between $1 million and $2 million/month?

Most certainly not. Try lower, much lower. If they can command such numbers, RokuCo would not be getting through so many financing rounds (were there 6 so far? is the last one "series F", hard to keep track). Nor if valuable, will they be wasting ad space to repeat the same ad over and over again, "Hulu style". Rather, the total monthly receipts are probably in the $1-2M range - from all ad deals and partnerships, sans actual player sales. Not that anyone frequenting this forum is likely to know the exact number.

This makes for a great interview question though, "how much is Roku's side banner worth?". A good marketeer should be able to give a fair guestimate on that. I am not one of them marketeers though; best i could muster is un-educated guess on number of gas stations in US within factor of 2x or a much better educated guess on how many "Roku" mobile apps are out there.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

My guesses were posted as questions - simply saying something is very expensive could mean anything more than $1 depending on who is saying it.
0 Kudos
MarsDust
Visitor

Thanks for the input guy. How about the second part of my question? Does anybody know where I can find contact info for a sales representative? That way I can simply request a quote. I can't seem to find that on the site anywhere - although admittedly I may just be missing something obvious.
0 Kudos
MarsDust
Visitor

Oh sorry Joel. I didn't see your post until after I'd already posted above. What did I tell you about me missing the obvious. 😉
Thanks
0 Kudos